Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the auto-fill phone number in Safari? It always chooses the wrong one.

How do I change the auto-fill phone number in Safari? It always chooses the wrong one. How do I fix that? Where are the settings?

(Appreciation of good intentions not withstanding, please no suggestions about "delete the one you don't want." I have several phone numbers (as most people do) and obviously do not wish to delete any of them. Besides, I should be the one who chooses which one is the one for the auto-fill, not some mysterious algorithm of Apple's. Also, again, please, no suggestions to "try this or that and see if it works." I just want to know where the setting is. It has to be someplace, but it isn't obvious.)

Much thanks!

Mac Studio

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 5:28 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

In fact, that's exactly how it is set up. The phone number I want is first. It seems that this has been happening with consistent frequency with the new OS, although not unheard of previously. (There seems to be a lot of problem with OS13, synchronization being another big one.) So, in other words, you can't control which phone number it picks. Sounds like a bug to me... I don't like having to create multiple contact cards for anyone, including me. That's just a recipe for disaster down the road.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 5:28 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for the quick response!

In fact, that's exactly how it is set up. The phone number I want is first. It seems that this has been happening with consistent frequency with the new OS, although not unheard of previously. (There seems to be a lot of problem with OS13, synchronization being another big one.) So, in other words, you can't control which phone number it picks. Sounds like a bug to me... I don't like having to create multiple contact cards for anyone, including me. That's just a recipe for disaster down the road.

Feb 1, 2023 4:54 PM in response to merlinapple

No, it had the usual worthless FAQ blah blah blah. It has no information on selecting the phone number for autofill. As I wrote, auto-fill always selects the WRONG phone number from the address book contact. How do I make it choose the correct number? There is no information on that. What, I have to make a separate entry for every phone number and every email address? How painfully primitive is that? And it doesn't explain why auto-fill chooses the number that it chooses - which is the wrong one. Again, how to adjust auto-fill so that it chooses the number I want?

Feb 1, 2023 11:21 AM in response to GMak

Hello GMak,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you need help with autofill on Safari. We completely understand why you'd reach out, and are happy to help.

Since this info is pulled from your

Contacts, you will need to edit your contact card. The following article explains where to find the settings and how to view or edit information.

Change AutoFill settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Please have a look and let us know if this helps! 

Cheers! 

Feb 1, 2023 5:18 PM in response to GMak

Good Afternoon GMak,

Make sure your contact card "My Card" has the information that you want to populate. Try making the phone number that you want to populate the first one listed. If you have multiple phone numbers on your contact card, you will be prompted to choose which one. Having one phone number on your contact card should resolve this.

Set up your My Card in Contacts on Mac

Autofill info from Contacts in Safari on Mac - Safari User Guide

Take care.

How do I change the auto-fill phone number in Safari? It always chooses the wrong one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.