Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal HOTSPOT - not working - 911

according to google a hotspot is:

A hotspot is a wireless access point that lets you connect phones, tablets, computers, and other devices to the internet when you’re on the go. They’re built into most smartphones, but you can also get dedicated mobile hotspot devices that deliver faster speeds, connect more devices, and have a longer battery life than your phone. You can also find public Wi-Fi hotspots at many restaurants and public buildings.

my NEW iPhone13 when trying to use my hotspot give me a message:

"Personal hotspot will ONLY be available over Bluetooth and USB."

the purpose of a hotspot is to be able to PROVIDE internet access to other devices via the HOTSPOT on your iPhone. If i can only use the hotspot via Bluetooth or USB this defeats the purpose of having a hotspot on my phone.

Please tell me how to use my hotspot if i do NOT have WIFI available.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 10:12 AM

Might be some useful info here: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What most users call a Hotspot at a restaurant, etc is really a regular Wi-Fi network that is being broadcast by a Wi-Fi router, not by an iPhone or other portable device. This type of signal provides much wider coverage than what you would normally expect from a "true" Hotspot.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 10:12 AM in response to iphone13_confused

Might be some useful info here: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What most users call a Hotspot at a restaurant, etc is really a regular Wi-Fi network that is being broadcast by a Wi-Fi router, not by an iPhone or other portable device. This type of signal provides much wider coverage than what you would normally expect from a "true" Hotspot.

Jan 31, 2023 10:02 AM in response to iphone13_confused

The Hotspot option or feature on your iPhone is controlled by your carrier.

Keep in mind that Bluetooth is a wireless technology.

If you set up the Hotspot option on your iPhone as a test, and then click the Wi-Fi "bars" at the top of your Mac's screen, does the Hotspot "network" name show up as a wireless connection choice? Can your Mac connect to this wireless signal? Can other devices connect the same way?

Note that the Hotspot network connection display is different than the normal "bars" display with Wi-Fi. That is how you will know whether a device is connected to the Hotspot or the regular Wi-Fi network.

Jan 31, 2023 9:51 AM in response to iphone13_confused

You say: my NEW iPhone13 when trying to use my hotspot give me a message:

"Personal hotspot will ONLY be available over Bluetooth and USB."

Are you trying to connect your iPhone 13 to a hotspot? Or are you trying to use it as a hotspot?

To connect to a hotspot, open Settings > Wi-Fi. If a hotspot is available, select it to connect.

If you want to use it as a hotspot so that another device may find it in their settings, open Settings > Personal Hotspot and turn it to on.

But as Bob Timmons suggested, check with your cellular carrier for any restrictions.

Personal HOTSPOT - not working - 911

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.