Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag won't play sound or work with directional finding after battery replacement

I purchased a 6-pack of "no coating" 3V CR2032 cells at Batteries Plus and planned to devote a few minutes to changing batteries on four of them. I started with a tag paired to my spouse's iPhone 13 Pro's Apple ID, and that went fine.

Then, I moved on to my own tags (3 of which have displayed the "Low battery" indicator in FindMy). My phone is an 11 Pro. Although when I inserted the replacements (from a company called "Nuon" or "Onuon"—the first character may be a logo rather than a character per se), the tags chirped, and they each paired again, but they won't play a sound in response to the phone's FindMy App. I've tried resetting them as well, but that doesn't work. I've removed each of them from my Apple ID and tried to re-pair them, but that doesn't work either, and after resetting them, FindMY is unable to recognize them as belonging to someone else, either. (Of course, at the moment, they DON'T, but typing that gives me one more thing to try; i.e., pairing them to my wife's phone, given that the first tag whose battery I replaced DID pair easily to her device. I'll report back if that's successful.

I've ordered a pack of genuine Panasonic batteries, but I don't think that's the issue. I actually spent more than a half hour on the phone with an Apple Support Engineer yesterday, but he couldn't come up with a solution either. The tags are more than a year old. Apple Service is available, but it's $29 per tag (do the math on THAT!).

I do hava a 14 Pro phone on order, but these tags worked fine with my phone for over a year, so I don't think that's the issue. The tags also have the latest firmware, and my iOS is 16.3.

My spouse's 13 Pro is currently running an earlier release of iOS 13.x, so I guess one possibility is a bug INTRODUCED with the newest OS release, but I doubt it.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 11:04 AM

I'm BACK……

At least partially answering my own question:

1. The problem did not rest with one iPhone iOS version or hardware model vs. another. I did no better trying to reset my recalcitrant AirTags and pairing them to my wife's phone than I had to my own.
  2. In the end, it looks as though the problem relates somehow to the tag resetting process. Continuing to flout the axiom that continuing the same solution and expecting a different result is the fundamental definition of stupidity, I tried a few more times with the tags that seemed to be in Never-Never-land after I removed them from my AppleID (couldn't be identified as belonging to any one else, couldn't be paired to either of the phones that belonged to me, couldn't be disabled as potentially malevolent trackers), I wondered whether perhaps I wasn't being thorough enough with the battery removal/replacement "5 times is the charm" routine.

Turns out that actually WAS the problem, but I don't have a foolproof solution. I noticed this morning that when I picked up one of the misbehaving tags, it chirped at me. So, I decided to try to reset it once more. This time, instead of pressing the battery against the tag's internal contacts 5 times total, I removed the battery completely each time and waited a few seconds before re-inserting it and didn't stop doing so until, on the SEVENTH iteration of that, the chirp the tag emitted was QUALITATIVELY different from its six predecessors. When I replaced the cover, an image of an AirTag with no label immediately appeared on my nearby iPhone's screen. I went through the setup ritual with no difficulties (giving the tag a more clearly identifiable name in the process) and it immediately behaved in response to requests issued from my phone's FindMy app.

Things weren't quite as simple with the second misbehaving tag. I thought perhaps the time allotted to individual separations of the tag from its power source might be important; e.g., perhaps a capacitor in the tag needed to lose its electronic memory, so I waited an exaggerated amount of time with each chirp and release pair, but that didn't seem to help, until, magically, it did. I paid more attention to making certain the battery insertions enabled contact with each of the 3 pins on the internal ring of the tab, and although I never heard the absolutely distinguishably different "OK,now I'm a tabula rasa" chirp from that second tag, when I replaced its cover it, too, permitted pairing the tag to a piece of luggage.

So, all my tags are functional again. I still don't know for certain how to make certain that a reset procedure proceeds successfully, but it seems the magic doesn't require purchasing new AirTags.

I remain uncertain just what I did differently in my resetting attempts to enable that, but the message seems clear; i.e., "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 11:04 AM in response to JimRobertson

I'm BACK……

At least partially answering my own question:

1. The problem did not rest with one iPhone iOS version or hardware model vs. another. I did no better trying to reset my recalcitrant AirTags and pairing them to my wife's phone than I had to my own.
  2. In the end, it looks as though the problem relates somehow to the tag resetting process. Continuing to flout the axiom that continuing the same solution and expecting a different result is the fundamental definition of stupidity, I tried a few more times with the tags that seemed to be in Never-Never-land after I removed them from my AppleID (couldn't be identified as belonging to any one else, couldn't be paired to either of the phones that belonged to me, couldn't be disabled as potentially malevolent trackers), I wondered whether perhaps I wasn't being thorough enough with the battery removal/replacement "5 times is the charm" routine.

Turns out that actually WAS the problem, but I don't have a foolproof solution. I noticed this morning that when I picked up one of the misbehaving tags, it chirped at me. So, I decided to try to reset it once more. This time, instead of pressing the battery against the tag's internal contacts 5 times total, I removed the battery completely each time and waited a few seconds before re-inserting it and didn't stop doing so until, on the SEVENTH iteration of that, the chirp the tag emitted was QUALITATIVELY different from its six predecessors. When I replaced the cover, an image of an AirTag with no label immediately appeared on my nearby iPhone's screen. I went through the setup ritual with no difficulties (giving the tag a more clearly identifiable name in the process) and it immediately behaved in response to requests issued from my phone's FindMy app.

Things weren't quite as simple with the second misbehaving tag. I thought perhaps the time allotted to individual separations of the tag from its power source might be important; e.g., perhaps a capacitor in the tag needed to lose its electronic memory, so I waited an exaggerated amount of time with each chirp and release pair, but that didn't seem to help, until, magically, it did. I paid more attention to making certain the battery insertions enabled contact with each of the 3 pins on the internal ring of the tab, and although I never heard the absolutely distinguishably different "OK,now I'm a tabula rasa" chirp from that second tag, when I replaced its cover it, too, permitted pairing the tag to a piece of luggage.

So, all my tags are functional again. I still don't know for certain how to make certain that a reset procedure proceeds successfully, but it seems the magic doesn't require purchasing new AirTags.

I remain uncertain just what I did differently in my resetting attempts to enable that, but the message seems clear; i.e., "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

AirTag won't play sound or work with directional finding after battery replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.