Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are these apps? "Clever DevOps Co", "Theodore Reed", mac-event-forwarder

I updated to Ventura 13.2 today.

There are apps that are not in the Application folder but are enabled in the "Allow in the Background" list - "Clever DevOps Co", "mac-event-forwarder", "Open" and "Theordore Reed".

They are not in the applications folder. What are these apps? Why are they on my mbp? How do I get rid of them if they aren't supposed to be on my mbp?

14" MBP M1 macOS Ventura 13.2

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 2:40 AM

"Clever DevOps Co." could be this ("A tool for encouraging the installation of macOS security updates") — that name appears in this script, in particular.

I spotted "Clever DevOps Co." in my Login Items, where it's marked as "This item is managed by your organisation" and it can't be switched off. In my case that's because my (company) laptop has remote management software installed on it (JumpCloud) which does various things like ensuring FileVault and firewall are on, etc. — and one of the things it does is nag me to install system updates when they're available, which I guess is ultimately being done via this "nudge" tool.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 2:40 AM in response to h94403

"Clever DevOps Co." could be this ("A tool for encouraging the installation of macOS security updates") — that name appears in this script, in particular.

I spotted "Clever DevOps Co." in my Login Items, where it's marked as "This item is managed by your organisation" and it can't be switched off. In my case that's because my (company) laptop has remote management software installed on it (JumpCloud) which does various things like ensuring FileVault and firewall are on, etc. — and one of the things it does is nag me to install system updates when they're available, which I guess is ultimately being done via this "nudge" tool.

Jan 31, 2023 2:30 PM in response to h94403

Have not idea about any of this Applications

Have even less idea how they arrived on this computer

Etrecheck

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Jan 31, 2023 3:16 PM in response to h94403

Theodore Reed is a software developer of many open source apps. You must have installed one of them in the past. When deleting apps often they leave behind parts that still launch at startup. Do a Google search for lever DevOps And Theodore Reed to find out what apps they might be.

For the most part they are all items that you've installed at some time. I have a bunch and after searching for them found them to be apps I've previously downloaded and launched at some time in the past. Just ignore. Apple made some changes with Ventura that the apps name may not be listed but the developer.

Jan 31, 2023 4:25 PM in response to h94403

Open is a Darwin tool to open files in the GUI from the shell. Some app you installed is calling that utility to open something for you. Etrecheck, as already suggested, may at least show you what you installed so you can possibly identify the app you installed that would try to open something.

You can try searching for the other two names on the web. The results may trigger some remembrance of what you installed, of possibly Etrecheck will help with those, too.

What are these apps? "Clever DevOps Co", "Theodore Reed", mac-event-forwarder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.