Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two sets of airpods on two different devices at the same time? (same apple ID)

Let me try and set the scenario:

1. We have an iPad and a phone both under the same Apple ID.
  2. We have 1 pair of AirPods and 1 pair of AirPod Pros.
  3. Both sets of AirPods are visible on both devices and they work fine.
  4. If try and "forget" a pair of AirPods on one device, they are forgotten on both.
  5. We want to be able to have one person listening to something on the iPad using one pair of AirPods while another person listens to something else on their phone using the other pair of AirPods.
  6. Right now either works fine when it is just one person doing their listening, but as soon as the second person tries to start listening to their device, it cancels whatever the other person is doing, or leads to the audio coming through on the wrong device.
  7. Can we set this up the way we want, or do we need to get one of the devices on a separate Apple ID?

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:42 PM

Hello adrian_adrian,

After doing some testing with my AirPod Pros using two Macs signed in with the same Apple ID, I can confirm that there is no reliable way for more than one person to listen to Apple Music (specifically) on the same Apple ID at once. This is because Apple requires a "Family Subscription" for more than one person to be listening to music.

This doesn't mean you can't listen to a podcast on the same Apple ID, however. I found that this can be done with the same Apple ID.

Check out a similar article on Apple Support Communities concerning this subject:

Playing Music on two devices at the same … - Apple Community

So, yes you should set up a separate Apple ID if you want to stream Apple Music on both devices at once. Other audio should be able to play on both devices at once (not including Apple TV).

Here is some information on getting an Apple Music "Family Subscription" if you decide to do that. This may actually allow you to listen to Apple Music on two devices at once using the same Apple ID:

Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 7:42 PM in response to adrian_adrian

Hello adrian_adrian,

After doing some testing with my AirPod Pros using two Macs signed in with the same Apple ID, I can confirm that there is no reliable way for more than one person to listen to Apple Music (specifically) on the same Apple ID at once. This is because Apple requires a "Family Subscription" for more than one person to be listening to music.

This doesn't mean you can't listen to a podcast on the same Apple ID, however. I found that this can be done with the same Apple ID.

Check out a similar article on Apple Support Communities concerning this subject:

Playing Music on two devices at the same … - Apple Community

So, yes you should set up a separate Apple ID if you want to stream Apple Music on both devices at once. Other audio should be able to play on both devices at once (not including Apple TV).

Here is some information on getting an Apple Music "Family Subscription" if you decide to do that. This may actually allow you to listen to Apple Music on two devices at once using the same Apple ID:

Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Two sets of airpods on two different devices at the same time? (same apple ID)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.