Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura doesn't support USB keyboard any longer ?

My USB keyboard was Apple branded.

It's a surprise that after having updated the system to Ventura I could no longer use the usb keyboard even if it is a genuine product of Apple.

I have a MacBook Air 11 inch which was too old to update to Ventura, and this usb keyboard worked flawlessly once inserted.

Obviously this is a system bug and hopefully Apple technicians will solve this problem soon.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:28 PM

21 replies

Feb 15, 2023 4:26 PM in response to BigBen2022

Let it sit, still wasn't recognized in the morning (> 8 hours). NVRAM reset requires...wait for it...a functional keyboard.

But on the phone with Apple support this morning:

• plugged in a Dell USB keyboard (old style USB), rebooted --> was able to login, use keyboard
  • then also plugged in Apple-branded old USB keyboard that was working before to the other USB-A port--> now works?
  • unplug Dell keyboard--> profit? (original Apple keyboard still working)

No clue why this worked, but Apple support said they have seen more reports of 13.2.x and USB accessory issues. Fingers crossed they can get an update out sometime soon. M2 Mac Mini is a week old, not a great experience.

Feb 2, 2023 3:59 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi Dialabrain, I have two wireless Apple keyboards, one connected to Mac mini and the other to MacBook Air. The usb keyboard is connected to the iMac. In order to check how many minutes or seconds it needs for the Mac Ventura 13.2 system to find the usb keyboard, this morning I pulled out the the keyboard and then plugged in and immediately started the time counting, after more than 4 minutes, the system still couldn't find the keyboard, I pressed once every second this key or that key but couldn't input anything. After twenty minutes of trying, I had to reboot the computer hoping that the system would find the keyboard, however the system just kept searching and searching for wireless keyboard , and the plugged-in usb keyboard seemed non-existent . I rebooted the computer more than ten times today, and for once I even waited for more than half hour to see if the keyboard would be recognized, in vain. Now it is almost a nightmare for me, oh no it is a "daymare" for me, to be exact, because all this was done in the daytime from 10:00am to 6:53pm, I couldn't input anything with the usb keyboard.

Feb 3, 2023 11:12 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you for your suggestions.

Before I tried theses things, the usb keyboard was recognized by the computer this morning somewhere around 11:00. I didn't know why it WAS recognized and why NOT yesterday the whole day and the whole night.

Then I pulled out from the usb port the keyboard, waited a few seconds, then inserted to the same usb port, well, the tragedy came up again: the usb keyboard was NOT recognized. I tried all the four usb ports, waited for more than two minutes for each port, nothing happened, the keyboard seemed non-existent to the computer.

The same happened to my Mac mini which I just bought this week.

So, in my view, this is a system error: the system only searches for wireless keyboards not usb ones.

Feb 6, 2023 11:58 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you. I did reset the SMC following for the steps in the link. But it did't change anything regarding the usb keyboard .

I found that with the usb keyboard inserted for the whole night, the following morning the system shows the keyboard hooked. I checked this twice.

I will try NVRAM when I am not in intense use of the computer.

Thank very much again.

Mar 22, 2023 4:52 AM in response to BigBen2022

+1

This is so frustrating! I have a brand new MBP sitting in front of me and it is not capable of recognizing my wired Apple keyboard using an adaptor cable from the Hama brand – not the cheapest ones.

I mean, this is brand new and I refuse to go through steps like reset of NVRAM or SMC reset – this has to work, that's what ports on a Mac are for.

And to make it even more frustrating: sometimes the keyboard works and then out of nothing it's not recognized anymore after disconnecting / reconnecting it…

The security settings are "Always allow accessories" and changing them doesn't make any difference.

Is there a way to force the system to scan for USB devices?

Feb 1, 2023 6:41 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you very much for your response.

My keyboard is the same model A1243 as yours.

With Ventura 13.1, it worked rather well. Yesterday, I updated the system to Ventura 13.2, then the keyboard stopped working. I tried plugging in and out the keyboard many times and it just didn't work.

This morning, when I woke up and read your answer, I thought maybe I should give it another try.

So, I plugged in again the keyboard, and still it didn't work. I scratched my hairs and frowned and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. I typed several words with the wireless keyboard, wait a while, and then typed a letter with A1243 usb keyboard, and to my big surprise, this time it works !!!

So, the USB keyboard still works with Ventura 13.2, it just needs several minutes to be hooked to the system.

Feb 2, 2023 4:53 PM in response to bonibee

Yes, that's right. The wireless keyboard works.

Sometimes, it's rather strange too that the computer couldn't find the wireless keyboard, this usually happens if I reboot the computer with the wireless keyboard turned off and when the computer is ready with the pop-up of blank user name and code, I just turn on the keyboard, which seems to be too late, and the system won't find the keyboard. With a lightening-usb type C cable connecting the computer and the wireless keyboard, the system will support this keyboard immediately. And if I click the Bluetooth menu, delete the wireless board that exists, and then pull out the lightening-usb tape C cable, let the system search for the wireless keyboard, and the system finds the keyboard in just seconds. All in all, the lightening-USB C cable, usually used for charging, is indeed the quickest solution for the system find the wireless keyboard.

Feb 2, 2023 6:12 PM in response to dialabrain

Well, what I tried to express was that the wireless keyboards work fine with any computer of Ventura 13.2 , but the usb keyboard doesn't.

The iMac I'm using is a 21.5 inch Model iMac19.2 of year 2019.

The Mac mini of model Mac14.3 year 2023 has the same issue as the iMac: I plugged in the usb keyboard, and the system couldn't find it even after 5 minutes, then after several times of trying I gave up and re-connected my bluetooth keyboard.

Feb 14, 2023 3:29 PM in response to BigBen2022

Brand new mac mini (M2 chip) this weekend, got everything working (apple-branded keyboard that has been a workhorse for years). Saw the Venture 13.2.1 update last night, installed, now USB keyboard and mouse no longer work. Rebooted several times, let it sit for hours, no joy.

Will try the NVRAM reset from another thread here but...this seems like a pretty big miss for QA/release testing.

Feb 23, 2023 2:18 PM in response to BigBen2022

After the last ventura update, my apple wired keyboard has quit working with my m1 mac mini. Restart, SMC and NVRAM reset all make no difference.

My dell wired keyboard that is like 10 years old works fine. I've confirmed the apple keyboard works with my dell desktop. It has to be a ventura update issue.

Plugging in another keyboard with it as suggested by the other poster doesn't seem to work for me. Having it plugged in all day with the mini on makes no difference either.

Any more ideas?

Ventura doesn't support USB keyboard any longer ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.