Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete GarageBand?

I just completed an Apple generated update to Safari (V16.3) and Big Sur (11.7.3). One of the after effects was a Problem Report for GarageBand (which I almost never use, but I might allow a grandson to try sometime.) The report tells me that it's damaged & can't be opened, and that I should delete it, then download it again. I don't know how to delete it. Kindly advise!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 11:45 PM

One thing to consider, when uninstalling GarageBand are the huge Instrument Library and and the Loop Library, also large Demo Song projects. On my Mac, where I am frequently using GarageBand, the Instrument Library contains 100GB of Sounds, and the Loop Library additional 50GB of Apple Loops. Uninstalling GarageBand will not remove these large Libraries, because they are shared with other music creation applications, like Logic Pro and GarageBand. You have to keep these large files, if you are using Logic or MainStage, otherwise you should remove them as well.

To remove MusicCreation files, the easiest way would be the Storage dialogue: See used and available storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Click Storage, then click Manage.

Now look for the category "Music Creation" and check, how much content is been used by GarageBand, MainStage, and Logic. You can delete this Content right from this dialog.

But you should be aware, that you cannot necessarily get the content back, if you are still having loops and instruments from GarageBand '11 or GarageBand '09 or even older. The current version of GarageBand will only reinstall loops and sound from GarageBand 10; most of the beautiful virtual instrument loops and sounds from the older versions are missing. If you want to be able to reinstall the much more versatile loops and instruments from the earlier GarageBand versions, you have to make a copy somewhere to archive them, before you uninstall them.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 11:45 PM in response to MCristina

One thing to consider, when uninstalling GarageBand are the huge Instrument Library and and the Loop Library, also large Demo Song projects. On my Mac, where I am frequently using GarageBand, the Instrument Library contains 100GB of Sounds, and the Loop Library additional 50GB of Apple Loops. Uninstalling GarageBand will not remove these large Libraries, because they are shared with other music creation applications, like Logic Pro and GarageBand. You have to keep these large files, if you are using Logic or MainStage, otherwise you should remove them as well.

To remove MusicCreation files, the easiest way would be the Storage dialogue: See used and available storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Click Storage, then click Manage.

Now look for the category "Music Creation" and check, how much content is been used by GarageBand, MainStage, and Logic. You can delete this Content right from this dialog.

But you should be aware, that you cannot necessarily get the content back, if you are still having loops and instruments from GarageBand '11 or GarageBand '09 or even older. The current version of GarageBand will only reinstall loops and sound from GarageBand 10; most of the beautiful virtual instrument loops and sounds from the older versions are missing. If you want to be able to reinstall the much more versatile loops and instruments from the earlier GarageBand versions, you have to make a copy somewhere to archive them, before you uninstall them.

Feb 1, 2023 10:22 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for this detailed response. I followed your instructions, and found that the Music Creation files only amount to 2.4GB, so as you can see - I haven't used it enough to accumulate much in the way of new sounds. I've experimented only a few times with mini projects, using more spoken word. IF I simply delete the app by dragging it in the trash, will these files in the library remain? I would hate to loose what little I have.

How to delete GarageBand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.