Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor Issues Since 13.2 Upgrade

I have a Dell U2722DE monitor connected to my 2021 MacBook Pro via USB-C cable. Everything worked perfectly until I upgraded to 13.2. Since then, when returning to work in the mornings my monitor has displayed a message saying something like "USB-C signal not detected from device" and the only solution is to unplug the power cord from the monitor and restart it. I've also noticed that my external drive, which is plugged directly into the laptop, has an unsafe ejection message ... not sure if the two issues are related? I always unmount my drives before ejecting, so clearly something is happening when the system goes to sleep in the evenings? Anyone encountered this? Any solutions, other than constantly unplugging monitor?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 9:56 AM

My Dell 49"ultrasharp gets into a mode like this after a software upgrade at times, the only fix is to unplug the AC cable, wait a bit and plug it back in. The power switch on the monitor doesn't fix it. Just had this happen to me today after 13.2.1 update on my MacBook Pro

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 3, 2023 10:28 AM in response to pdokeegan

Hi pdokeegan,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with your connection to your external device after upgrading your MacBook Pro to macOS 13.2. We'd like to help.

Have you restarted your MacBook Pro since you noticed this issue appearing? Sometimes a simple restart can help with issues like this. Give that a try to see if that helps:

Restart your Mac
On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Restart.

If you don’t want app windows that are open to reopen when your Mac restarts, deselect “Reopen windows when logging back in.”

Is your Mac set up to go to sleep or wake at a specific time? Knowing this can help you start to isolate this issue:

Specify sleep and wake settings for a Mac laptop
1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Battery  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
2. Click Options on the right, then do any of the following: 
* Put hard disks to sleep: Turn on “Put hard disks to sleep when possible.”
* Update your system while it’s asleep: Click the pop-up menu next to Enable Power Nap, then choose an option.
See What is Power Nap?
* Allow your Mac to wake briefly so users can access shared services (if applicable): Click the pop-up menu next to “Wake for network access,” then choose an option.
See Share your Mac resources when it’s in sleep.

Let us know how that goes.

Take care!

Mar 11, 2023 10:22 AM in response to pdokeegan

I tried everything -- unplugging the monitor's AC cord many times, restarting the computer (also putting it to sleep), following everyone's suggestions as to what to do at settings -> display (though often the monitor was not detected). Finally, I unplugged both ends of the cord connecting my Acer monitor from my 2021 M-1 Macbook Pro and a minute later plugged them both in, and the monitor lit up for the first time in days. I think the cable I'm using is a Thunderbolt 3 and it's going into the monitor's Audio jack. I was told that an HDMI cable might be more reliable, so I may end up getting one if this fix is only temporary. I've never posted anything but this was so frustrating i wanted to put this up in case it can help anyone else.

External Monitor Issues Since 13.2 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.