Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer has not exited since first loaded

I am receiving this error every morning for about a week now. My system is turned off and once powered back on WindowServer %CPU gets high at the moment 389.1 with CPU time 1:24:30:98. This is even after fully powering off the MBP and turning it back on. This is becoming a bit painful since getting everything up and functional take quite some time.

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff800f131941): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from WindowServer in 120 seconds

service: logd, total successful checkins in 684 seconds: 69, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

service: WindowServer, total successful checkins in 650 seconds: 53, last successful checkin: 120 seconds ago

service: remoted, total successful checkins in 684 seconds: 67, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

service: opendirectoryd, total successful checkins in 684 seconds: 68, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

service: configd, total successful checkins in 684 seconds: 68, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

I have sent the full error in but not sure if there is something I can correct.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 7:41 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 8, 2023 8:59 AM in response to MauWoW

Thanks for getting back to us MauWoW, it’s appreciated.

These are the steps that Apple provides for keeping your Mac safe from malware: Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

If you believe your Mac may already have malware installed, we recommend using Malwarebytes: Mac Virus Scan | 2023 Mac Antivirus and Anti-Malware

Since it appears you’re still receiving that message for WindowServer, we recommend contacting Apple Support directly: Get Support

All the best.

Feb 8, 2023 8:09 AM in response to MauWoW

Create a new account and it was seen that the WindowServer process was not running high. It was also amusing that my Mac fan also was not running. It's all ways on. I did not add web connections or my account. I initial had thought it might be from the CalDigit dock and my (2) monitors but that was not the case on the new profile.

I used this sites ( https://macsecurity.net/view/393-windowserver-mac ) recommendations but was unable to find anything hard pressed. But did find in the Login Items (3) OneDrive.app with "Item from unidentified developer" under the OneDrive I con. I selected the 'I' and removed the daemon.plist from 2021. I did not download the Combo Cleaner. But is there a good cleaning tool for Mac?

Since doing so WindowServer dropped from 700.0's to bouncing around 29. - 300.0's. It spikes and comes back down.

Everything that I do on this machine is work related so not sure how it any malware was installed being I only have installed the tools required from doing my tasks, MS Office365 & tools, adobe, zoom, Webex, Logitech, VSCode, VM fusion, Wireshark, etc.

Is there anything else I can do beside creating a new profile and moving all my data over to it?

Feb 3, 2023 10:37 AM in response to MauWoW

Hi MauWoW,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! Does the same error occur in a new user? Being able to see if the issue occurs in another user account will to identify if it is something that is affecting your entire system or just one particular user account. To do this, you'll want to set up a Test User account and then try to replicate the issue in that account.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click the add button (+) below the list of users.

4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

5. Go back up to the Apple menu in the upper left of the computer and select "Log Out". At the login screen, choose the "Test User" just made.

6. Once inside the Test Account, try to replicate the issue to determine if it just occurs in one account or on the whole computer.

Thank you.

Feb 8, 2023 11:36 AM in response to MauWoW

At this point I have been on with Apple Support and tried to logout of apple and sign back in. In doing so all files were removed and think they are being redownloaded. But this did not resolve the the process Family (Not Responding) problem. After reboot the process reappears and begins to cause high CPU usage again.

Was told to locate process in spotlight to delete the application, but it does not appear in spot light. Only Family found is in System Settings.

Reaching back out to the tech after losing him.

Feb 8, 2023 12:17 PM in response to MauWoW

Well this is getting more interesting as the multiple calls to Apple proceed.

Currently the apple tech that hung up on me, informed me the file/app/process can not be found on the system and have no way to determine the Family file origin to display Family (Not Responding). I should not be receiving the stuck process.

I had offered up the option of locating the initial boot file to see what it is trying to launch and possible comment out the Family process from the startup. I was told that MacOS does not have a startup file to start processes. Not sure how the OS is loading and expressed how I could change the loading in GRUB for other linux systems like BSD. Was responded with I am talking greek to them. MacOS works different from any other OS. When I asked for the next level tech, I was told they were they highest level tech and had no understanding of what I was describing.

Spend all day back and forth with support to ultimately be told the process/app doesn't exist on the system and looking for the boot file to location the Family process and where it is going to try and start doesn't exist.

As of this point the only solution for the Mystical process not responding is to after booting force quitting the service and continue with the day.

Now I have none of my files on my system and have to go about figuring out how to pull them back to the correct position since it was suppose to automatically do that but not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.