Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to 12.5.1, WindowServer keeps crashing?

After upgrading to 12.5.1, `WindowServer` keeps crashing after a couple hours logged in and puts me back at the login screen. The error in the logs is the same each time:

```

Termination Reason: Namespace WATCHDOG, Code 1 monitoring timed out for service

(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context:

```

I have no external displays or anything connected other than the power cable.

The CPU usage for `WindowServer` is hovering around 45-60% when the computer is idle. I noticed because the fans are spinning up when not doing any activity, which is unusual!

Is anyone else seeing this issue or has a resolution? I am tempted to perform a system reset but am keen to keep the security patch on 12.5.1.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 3:15 PM

Jedicake wrote:

After upgrading to 12.5.1, `WindowServer` keeps crashing after a couple hours logged in and puts me back at the login screen. The error in the logs is the same each time:

```
(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context:
```

The CPU usage for `WindowServer` is hovering around 45-60% when the computer is idle. I noticed because the fans are spinning up when not doing any activity, which is unusual!

Is anyone else seeing this issue or has a resolution? I am tempted to perform a system reset but am keen to keep the security patch on 12.5.1.

Thank you!

Have you done a complete shutdown and restarted the Mac...

shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 3:15 PM in response to Jedicake

Jedicake wrote:

```
```

Thank you!

Have you done a complete shutdown and restarted the Mac...

shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

After upgrading to 12.5.1, WindowServer keeps crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.