Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M2 Max frequent crashes (kernal panic)

I have a 1 month old MacBook Pro M2 Max that is has been crashing frequently (6 times in past 24 hours).

I am having trouble identifying the cause of the crashes.

Sometimes the message is "SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)", other times the report is much more detailed (below) and appears to be a kernal panic.

I've been using the machine in the same manner for about 1 month as far as applications and peripherals go.

Any insight or suggested solutions to fix or identify the cause would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 4:55 AM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2023 2:21 AM in response to walt172

I ended up reinstalling the OS from scratch (no time machine backups, etc) and installing all applications from scratch. Originally, I had migrated to the M2 Max machine from an Intel TimeMachine backup.

After the reinstall I haven't had any more issues. So I suspect it was a software issue related to an Intel based version of some application.

Mar 22, 2023 2:27 AM in response to 85D

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear is has worked for you.

In my case, the M2 Max is brand new and I set it up without a backup (I came from windows).

I will troubleshoot all the possible causes but I will probably reinstall the OS first and see if that solved the issue.

My MB kept crashing when trying to open the Unity Editor. It would open and crash after a few seconds.

I expect that it may be the OS or an app I may have installed during my initial setup.

Thanks again for the help and the info.

Mar 22, 2023 5:06 AM in response to ghr165

I found out what the cause was - I had a DP to USBC adapter cable connected to my 240 hz monitor from my MB. I also ahd this to the be the main monitor.

THis seems to have been the cause for my crashes. I then used a HDMI cable directly into the MB and when I set the display as my main display and started the Unity project - it runs without crashing.

There must have been something wrong with the Adapter Cable. Am am, however no limited to 60 Hz.

MacBook Pro M2 Max frequent crashes (kernal panic)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.