Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2018 / Monterey 12.6 - Crashing Problem - "Panic Watchdog timeout"

Hi everyone,

My macbook keeps crashing - im really struggling to sort it out,

any help/suggestions would be hugely appreciated - will attach crash report below.

Thanks,

Tor

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 11:37 AM

To start, disconnect all peripherals except a mouse and keyboard and see if the problem is still there. The last started kext was a "driver." That might be related to something connected, e.g. hardware.

It would also be helpful to download and run Etrecheck with full disk access, paste the output here using the Additional text button below. Etrecheck could reveal a potential software cause for the issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 11:37 AM in response to tor163

To start, disconnect all peripherals except a mouse and keyboard and see if the problem is still there. The last started kext was a "driver." That might be related to something connected, e.g. hardware.

It would also be helpful to download and run Etrecheck with full disk access, paste the output here using the Additional text button below. Etrecheck could reveal a potential software cause for the issue.

Oct 9, 2022 4:27 PM in response to steve626

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion mate. I have suspected that it maybe due to a 2nd monitor (Dell) that i have connected, it does sometimes seem to be triggered by either sleeping, waking from sleep or disconnecting/connecting that monitor.

But also for sure, it has crashed/restarted with no peripherals connect also - have just run EtreCheck and will attach report to the additional text section.

Thanks,

Tor

Oct 9, 2022 5:04 PM in response to tor163

Lots of crashes being reported.

If I were you, I’d take it in to the Apple store to have a genius look at it. Make an appt online and “backup system” before going.

I’d also change the password to apple or something simple so as to protect your old password. When you get back home, change the passwd back.

thinking it may require a reinstall of the OS.

Good luck

Oct 9, 2022 5:19 PM in response to tor163

<< Antivirus software: CleanMyMac, Avast, Apple, and Malwarebytes >>

MalwareBytes is the least invasive, and it often gets a pass. but its RealTime Protection daemon is not recommended here, only is quick scan ONCE for malware.

Those other two are serious junk and need to go.

DisplayLink? why do you even have that on your Mac?

Your MacBook Pro supports TWO fully-hardware-accelerated displays at 5K, and up to four at 4K.

DisplayLink is used to add fake displays when no more can be provided.

You appear to be running a VPN you installed yourself. that does NOT improve security in the slightest, and causes nothing but trouble.

You appear to be running WD Disk Tools. This can be a serious mistake. When a drive is not re-initialized with Disk Utility, drives controlled by third-party tools are in accessible until the third-party driver has loaded, so they can not be read as backup drives or accessed on a different Mac.

cam twist may be intervening in your graphics. are cute special effects worth crashes?

Macbook Pro 2018 / Monterey 12.6 - Crashing Problem - "Panic Watchdog timeout"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.