Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do we get the streaming audio while recording the screen?

Trying to figure out how we get the streaming audio while recording the screen?

All the Videos made this way have NO SOUND. I only get the Screenshot.app controls, cannot get the QuickTime controls to appear.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 9:43 AM

you're welcome.

and as far as why apple doesn't provide that ability, I do have a good guess as to why. but we are not allowed to speculate on apple policies here in the forum, so I need to keep my guess to myself. :)

8 replies

Feb 1, 2023 9:34 AM in response to NickR55

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Feb 1, 2023 12:25 PM in response to NickR55

NickR55 wrote:

I would understand if they had a reason not to link the audio, but to come straight out on their help pages and say that it will record audio when it doesn't, that's concerning..

technically, it does record the audio. but you need to use the mic to capture the sound coming from the speakers. and as you could imagine, there would be ambient noises in the recording. and also the sound quality suffers, but it can be done. although most people wouldn't be happy with their end results.

How do we get the streaming audio while recording the screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.