Ventura and iPad OS 16.3 Have Broken Sidecar

Brand new, 2023 M2 MacBook Pro 16" (clean install of macOS 13.2 Ventura) and 12.9" iPad Pro (3rd Gen) running iPad OS 16.3.

Sidecar does not work at all even with the USB-C connection. I can move a window to the iPad but within a few seconds it moves back to the Mac and the iPad goes back to the Lock Screen.

I tried signing in/out of iCloud - did not fix the issue.

Under the Ventura Displays settings for the iPad Pro, I turned off the "Linked keyboard and mouse" and set it to "Extended display". That has made it a LITTLE MORE reliable, but I still get random disconnects whenever I try to move the mouse between screens.

Maybe my "solution" helps others, hopefully Apple is working on a fix.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 7:10 AM

I had the same issue. After three days with Apple Support -- and six different techs and tech supervisors -- the last supervisor finally told me there is an internal Apple document that clearly states that Ventura *intentionally* kills any Bluetooth pairing between a Mac and *any* iOS device. I couldn't believe it... that Apple would do this, especially when they specifically mention that Ventura supports Bluetooth connectivity with display sharing on an iOS device.

So, we will al be living back in a USB-cable-connected workflow, as it seems Apple has quietly removed this feature... I just wish they would be up-front about it, and they risk facing a class-action lawsuit when they misinform their customers while internally communicating that a useful feature no longer works.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 7:10 AM in response to Thomas Gray

I had the same issue. After three days with Apple Support -- and six different techs and tech supervisors -- the last supervisor finally told me there is an internal Apple document that clearly states that Ventura *intentionally* kills any Bluetooth pairing between a Mac and *any* iOS device. I couldn't believe it... that Apple would do this, especially when they specifically mention that Ventura supports Bluetooth connectivity with display sharing on an iOS device.

So, we will al be living back in a USB-cable-connected workflow, as it seems Apple has quietly removed this feature... I just wish they would be up-front about it, and they risk facing a class-action lawsuit when they misinform their customers while internally communicating that a useful feature no longer works.

Apr 8, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Thomas Gray

I see no mention of macOS 13.3.1 and iPadOS 16.4.1 in the same post. When that is done, does Sidecar still not function?

As none of the product teams participate in these user-supported public communities, you may need to send feedback to the macOS product team, or the iPad product team, as there is no specific Sidecar team available.

Feb 4, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Thomas Gray

That's what I ran into as well. M2 Mac mini, 1st gen ipad pro. Worked perfectly over wireless last weekend, but today(since updating to 16.3 on the ipad) it connects and immediately freezes on one frame, disconnects, takes several seconds, and repeats. Resetting ipad's network settings, disabling location services, signing out and back into icloud on both mac and ipad, creating a new user profile on mac, using multiple different networks on three different wireless routers (both 2.4 and 5ghz), I can only get it to work consistently over USB. Wireless just got broken with 16.3.

Feb 7, 2023 6:04 AM in response to mhie

Have the same issue. MacBook Pro 13 (2019), IPad Pro 12.9 M1. Tried to restore it from 16.3 (was already on IPad), but nothing has changed. Spent almost 2 days on this. It's so frustrating and I really need my Ipad as a second display asap!!! Help!!!

Apr 8, 2023 8:09 AM in response to dakurtz

Sidecar had been working wirelessly great until yesterday (April 7) when I upgraded the Mac to 13.3 and the iPad Pro to 16.4.1. Now the iPad does not show up in the Screen Mirroring menu anymore. I rebooted both devices, checked Wifi/Bluetooth settings, Apple ID, etc, to no avail. But connecting via USB works Ok, at least for now. Who knows when USB gets killed, too.

Apple Support having customers waste their time checking Wifi/Bluetooth/AppleId and countless other settings while knowing that Apple has secretly and deliberately broken/eliminated heavily advertised features seems very wrong and even illegal to me.

Apr 26, 2023 7:22 AM in response to Thomas Gray

I'm still facing this issue. I already tried all the suggested procedures (restart both devices, reset network settings, boot in safe mode, etc.). Nothing solves the connection issue. I can use Sidecar with the USB cable with no issues so far, so I guess the problem is indeed related to Ventura killing the existing connection. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Aug 23, 2023 11:44 AM in response to dakurtz

This is wild! I've been having the same issue (2020 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.5.1, iPad Pro running OS 16.6). Connection stays stable over USB, but disconnects every five seconds if I try to run Sidecar via Bluetooth. I explicitly made the jump to iPad on the promise of reliable wireless mirroring. I'm an artist and want to be able to use my iPad in conjunction with Photoshop for client work.

Glad you got some kind of answer from the internal team, but what a drag that they've killed this feature. I'll submit a ticket directly just in case there's any chance that'll convince them to change it back.

Ventura and iPad OS 16.3 Have Broken Sidecar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.