Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes cannot find songs

Windows PC ITunes cannot find songs on an album though I see the album artwork and the songs there. Where do I find them?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 4:17 AM

Where is "there"?

If you mean that a song is listed in your iTunes Library, but doesn't play, look for an exclamation mark next to the song's title. If there is an exclamation mark, it means that iTunes can no longer find the file for that song.

This is often because the file has been renamed, moved or deleted (or the path to the file has been renamed, moved or even deleted), by you or another programme on your computer.

To find tracks that are now missing from iTunes:

• the first place to look is in the Windows folder where the rest of the songs from the album are located. Right-click on any other song on the album and click on Show in Windows Explorer. Can you see the missing songs in there and if so, can you work out why iTunes has lost track of them (i.e. is the file name now incorrect)?
      • to fix this problem, rename the file back to the name it originally had. Then ask iTunes to play that song and it should now find it
    • if the file is not in the folder it's supposed to be in, the next place to look is in the Windows Recycle Bin. If the missing file is there, use the Windows command to Restore it back to the original location. Then ask iTunes to play the song and as above, it should then play
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 4:17 AM in response to Tradersword

Where is "there"?

If you mean that a song is listed in your iTunes Library, but doesn't play, look for an exclamation mark next to the song's title. If there is an exclamation mark, it means that iTunes can no longer find the file for that song.

This is often because the file has been renamed, moved or deleted (or the path to the file has been renamed, moved or even deleted), by you or another programme on your computer.

To find tracks that are now missing from iTunes:

• the first place to look is in the Windows folder where the rest of the songs from the album are located. Right-click on any other song on the album and click on Show in Windows Explorer. Can you see the missing songs in there and if so, can you work out why iTunes has lost track of them (i.e. is the file name now incorrect)?
      • to fix this problem, rename the file back to the name it originally had. Then ask iTunes to play that song and it should now find it
    • if the file is not in the folder it's supposed to be in, the next place to look is in the Windows Recycle Bin. If the missing file is there, use the Windows command to Restore it back to the original location. Then ask iTunes to play the song and as above, it should then play

ITunes cannot find songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.