Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime not playing mp4

Hello,

I have a problem with Quicktime that it won't play sometimes videos. The videos formats are .mp4 and .mov codeced by h264 mpeg-4 avc / h265.

The videos are from a security cameras so it's not reccording audio (to save storage on the servers).

I had to install MKPlayer to resolve this, Although it's playing just fine with MKPlayer, MKPlayer doesn't support fast playing as Quicktime does, which I need for my work purposes.

I have to mention that my co-workers are dealing with the same problem running .mp4 / .mov videos with h264 & h265 codecs on their Iphones (11 & 13, ios - 16.2). when they're trying to watch a video via Whatsapp / Telegram it opens a white screen and won't play the video at all.

If there's any fix for it (for my macbook, and my co-workers Iphones), it would be wonderful.

edit:

I attached a screenshots to show the video details as appear with "get file info" for an example.

QuickTime does play this video.

Quicktime doesn't play those:

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 7:29 AM

Post the complete copy & paste text fro Mediainfo or Invisor.

...but Lately QuickTime Player has had trouble with some dashcam movies (which nowadays seem to be wildly substandard and proprietary regarding GPS metadata anyway...).

If all else fails, I'd recommend using IINA for such movies.

https://iina.io/

Similar questions

4 replies

Quicktime not playing mp4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.