Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I correct in assuming that upgrade to macOS will render my 2019 IMac useless since on a good day my download is 6mbps and upload is 1 mbps from the one ISP in my rural area? Are there any fixes that work?

Will any Mac iOS systems upgrades work if your ISP only provides 6 mbps download and 1 mbps upload on a good day?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.7

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 10:17 AM

The only negative effects with your current system are:

1) Size: The 10+GB file will take a long time to download

2) Stability: I live in the US Inland Northwest and understand the challenges of signal stability in rural areas. If your connection is constantly interrupted, that can make the upgrade nearly impossible. You may have to haul the iMac to someplace with faster and more reliable internet to do the upgrade.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 10:17 AM in response to atandt_rural

The only negative effects with your current system are:

1) Size: The 10+GB file will take a long time to download

2) Stability: I live in the US Inland Northwest and understand the challenges of signal stability in rural areas. If your connection is constantly interrupted, that can make the upgrade nearly impossible. You may have to haul the iMac to someplace with faster and more reliable internet to do the upgrade.

Am I correct in assuming that upgrade to macOS will render my 2019 IMac useless since on a good day my download is 6mbps and upload is 1 mbps from the one ISP in my rural area? Are there any fixes that work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.