Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen pixelization

We replaced our 2nd gen 4K ATV with the 3rd gen last week. We have a Samsung, so it now provides HDR10+. Mainly it was for Plex, as others have said it improves streaming (I can comfirm this).

We updated our system last year, Samsung Q90T, Marantz AVR, updated HDMI cables, power conditioner, etc ... Connection is via ethernet, directly from AEBS. Our ISP package is 100Mbps, and we get within 99% of that.

The issue with the new ATV is the horrible, and random, blurring/pixelization. At first, it seemed to be mostly with the Apple shows. You could see it right away with the previews they show on top. We were watching Slow Horses, and it was like a lo-rez QT movie from the 90s. I know it sometimes takes a few seconds to buffer, but after letting the show run, it would take upwards of 5 minutes for the proper resolution to snap in.

I know it's a somewhat controversial topic, but I set the new ATV to run in 4K SDR, and have frame rate and dynamic range on. I find this makes River TV (Canada) look better.

The blurring also happens in other apps, namely Netflix. Forcing a restart usually fixes the issue.

I'm at a loss as to what else to try. I've replaced the ethernet cable, tried connecting via wifi, and returning the video settings to 4K HDR doesn't change anything.

We're running 16.3.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 7:09 AM

I don’t know what other reason for pixelation there could be, if it isn’t insufficient bandwidth.

Unless someone else chimes in with a new idea, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2023 7:09 AM in response to Randy Preising

I don’t know what other reason for pixelation there could be, if it isn’t insufficient bandwidth.

Unless someone else chimes in with a new idea, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Feb 4, 2023 12:14 PM in response to Randy Preising

I had this issue immediately upon upgrading to the 3rd gen Apple TV 4K, though interestingly, it was only in Netflix, and only on my 1080p TV. When watching the same show (1899) on my 4K TV in the other room, (same exact model of Apple TV hardware), the quality was great. Really confused me. I have had such a rash of issues with the 3rd gen Apple TV 4Ks, I'm returning mine to Costco and buying the older 2nd gen until they sort out these issues. I'm starting to think that, aside from the better processor of the new ones, the old ones might be better (more reliable) hardware.

Feb 4, 2023 2:09 PM in response to Christopher Vincent

Hmm. Maybe I'll swap it back out with my 4K 2nd gen. If the stuttering issues go away I'll return it (I got mine at an Apple store). I never had issues with streaming on the 4K 2nd gen–only occasional stuttering with Plex. I've literally tried every fix I can with the 3rd gen. The frustrating thing is it's so intermittent ... one day totally fine, the next it's spinning wheels of doom.

Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen pixelization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.