Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix blurry on Apple TV 4K

I am having an issue watching certain title on Netflix on ATV4K. Most of the new movie releases and TV shows on Netflix appear to be blurry on ATV4K. Netflix works fine on other devices. After talking to Netflix and Apple for over a year, I finally went and tested my ATV4K at a neighbour's house and the poor video quality issue remains.

So I reckon it has nothing to do with my Full-HD smart TV, my Internet connection is excellent (<500mbps) and other streaming apps on my ATV4K work fine and are able to deliver crystal clear full-HD images. Even my ATV 3rd generation delivers good quality too.

Currently in talk with Apple and I am nagging Apple to look into this matter seriously as I can see many people having the similar issues that their Netflix do not deliver good video quality. It's either ATV4K having issue with their SDR coding or ...

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 1:49 AM

1. Netflix quality depends on your plan with Netflix. Basic|​Standard|​Premium. Basic will not be HD. Plans and pricing - Netflix Help Center
  2. Netflix streams adapt to any network congestion. Quality will be lowered to ensure a continuous stream without buffering. You can’t control congestion outside your home, that is your ISP or beyond.
  3. Netflix has serval online account settings that might influence how content is streamed to you. Playback Settings Low|​Medium|​High|​Auto. You need ‘High’ for HD quality (or better).
  4. Netflix uses all kinds of tricks to deliver their content, so their local CDN server may play a role in your area, but not elsewhere. Have Apple TV use the DNS from the router (‘Auto’). Use a good DNS on your router, as outdated or incomplete or filtered DNS info might cause routing to not-the-best-for-you servers.
  5. Netflix delivers fine quality as advertised for me and many other users. It is not the Apple TV box or its system software. It is not the Netflix app. It might be the settings. It might be other equipment.
  6. The neighbor test was a good test! Did you use your neighbor’s cabling, to isolate just for the box?
  7. Some apps might misbehave unintentionally. Delete and re-install would also refresh local preferences and auxiliary files, and that might alleviate the problem. Have you tried that?
  8. Not all content on Netflix is in HD or better. Most is, but not all.

Your screenshot image appears to show two frames blended, possibly from long exposure. Try a photo instead of a video. Fast moving content makes it harder to judge image quality, and to find out what is going on with the video quality. Try pausing the stream.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2022 1:49 AM in response to WAYNE SEE

1. Netflix quality depends on your plan with Netflix. Basic|​Standard|​Premium. Basic will not be HD. Plans and pricing - Netflix Help Center
  2. Netflix streams adapt to any network congestion. Quality will be lowered to ensure a continuous stream without buffering. You can’t control congestion outside your home, that is your ISP or beyond.
  3. Netflix has serval online account settings that might influence how content is streamed to you. Playback Settings Low|​Medium|​High|​Auto. You need ‘High’ for HD quality (or better).
  4. Netflix uses all kinds of tricks to deliver their content, so their local CDN server may play a role in your area, but not elsewhere. Have Apple TV use the DNS from the router (‘Auto’). Use a good DNS on your router, as outdated or incomplete or filtered DNS info might cause routing to not-the-best-for-you servers.
  5. Netflix delivers fine quality as advertised for me and many other users. It is not the Apple TV box or its system software. It is not the Netflix app. It might be the settings. It might be other equipment.
  6. The neighbor test was a good test! Did you use your neighbor’s cabling, to isolate just for the box?
  7. Some apps might misbehave unintentionally. Delete and re-install would also refresh local preferences and auxiliary files, and that might alleviate the problem. Have you tried that?
  8. Not all content on Netflix is in HD or better. Most is, but not all.

Your screenshot image appears to show two frames blended, possibly from long exposure. Try a photo instead of a video. Fast moving content makes it harder to judge image quality, and to find out what is going on with the video quality. Try pausing the stream.

Netflix blurry on Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.