Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xfer of old iTunes music library to newer Macbook Pro

I'm want to transfer my iTunes (v. 12.6.2.20) from my 2011 Macbook Pro (OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks) to another newer–but still old–Macbook Pro (OSX 10.15.5 Catalina). The destination Mac does not have iTunes; rather it has Music (v. 1.0.5.14).

The older Macbook is being retired. The two Macbooks do not communicate via WiFi so I hope to use a 256 GB Sandisk Ultra flash drive to facilitate the transfer.

Questions:

Can I simply export the library from iTunes provided the flash drive has sufficient capacity?

Is it better to use Finder to merely copy music folders to the flash drive and then import/add to library on the destination Mac?

Alternatively, could I also use the flash drive as the library on the destination Mac?

Finally, if I just copy music folders, are there any other iTunes files that I should also copy to the flash drive? such as:

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library.xml

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 9:35 AM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

Xfer of old iTunes music library to newer Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.