Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey keeps corrupting my external drive

Hi there,

I've found an interesting problem, and it seems like quite a few people are having similar problems online (although its always hard to tell if its exactly the same).

I use an external on my older mac (running Mojave) - everything works fine here, and I don't want to upgrade or change it as its a work machine and should remain there for opening old projects until years after this transition.

I've bought a new (refurb) m1 max Macbook Pro. It shipped with Monterey. Note that the Laptop only has USB C, and the old machine only has USB A - I didn't think this would be a problem as I could switch which adapter i'm using (and I also don't believe it IS the problem... see later).

When I plugged in my external drive (its a 4TB samsung 870 QVO - using a Sabrent ssd to USB A cable), it showed up initially, then gave me an error in finder (error code 32730 - no details online). I thought little of it - the hub was unpowered so I thought that may be the problem.

When I tried to plug it back into my old machine, it wouldn't mount. I tried everything, all sorts of Disk repairs, fsck, terminal stuff, whatever - the disk was corrupt. Disk Drill couldn't repair it either, so i resorted to using that to recover the files (I had a near backup, but was able to grab the newer files - no data lost now I think).

Once i'd got everything sorted again, I formatted the drive APFS on my old machine, put all the files back (took hours). I thought I'd try again - I'd just ordered a new SATA/SSD to USB C cable, so I wouldn't have to go through the hub. I also ordered a cable to power the hub. So there are 2 methods I can use to connect.

Long story short, neither techniques work. The drive formatted on my Mojave machine won't read, and WILL be corrupted by my M1 Monterey laptop.

Interestingly, if I format the drive in Monterey, its the same the other way around - It works fine in Monterey, but If I plug it in to my Mojave machine, it gets corrupt / "disk not recognised - do you want to initialise" etc.

It seems that switching the adapter could be causing the problem. Although that's somewhat disproved, as the problem still occurs if i stick with the USB A adapter, and use the powered Anker hub to plug it into the laptop.

It seems these two OSs are somehow incompatible, both with APFS and HFS. But importantly - they corrupt the drives!! If I upgrade to Ventura, will this not happen? I'm not sure! I'm ruling out a faulty drive for now, as its worked flawlessly until trying to use it on the laptop, and also works flawlessly after formatting (until i try to switch the machine its running on).

I've tried a lot of combinations. Here's a (sort of) log -

• Mojave drive corrupted by M1 Monterey by plugging in USB A via unpowered hub. Reformatted to APFS, all files put back
  • Monterey corrupts the drive again, via USB C this time (switched the adapter). Not using hub, directly into the laptop
  • Formatted the drive in Monterey - all works fine on the laptop - can use it and re-installed some lost programs. When plugging into the Mojave machine, it can't read/mount the drive (but hasn't corrupted it... yet).
  • I'll likely have to format again now, as I need it to be usable on my old machine as that's where I'm working until I can reliable use the new machine with this SSD.

Does anyone know if there's known compatibility issues between these OSes? Should I upgrade the laptop to Ventura, hoping the USB bugs are gone?

Thanks for reading, it's a long one...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 9:38 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 2, 2023 10:07 AM in response to thealee

I'm not so sure it's a USB problem. The examples you cited suggest to me that it may be due to differences in AFPS between Mojave and Monterey.

Here are two interesting & informative articles from Eclectic Light. The author is technically knowledgeable.

APFS was officially released in High Sierra although it remained optional to use and there were significant problems with APFS on Fusion drives. APFS became required on boot drives in Mojave and the Fusion issue was fixed. Then, there were major changes to APFS in Catalina and again in Big Sur. So, APFS is different on Monterey vs. Mojave.

Both versions of macOS support HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled). May I suggest testing HFS+ on your external drive to see if it works with both OS's without the corruption you reported?

Feb 2, 2023 10:26 AM in response to thealee

Further findings, and some clarification as well.

• It seems that swapping the adapter (I have two adapters, one goes from SATA to USB A, and the other from SATA to USB C - Plugged directly into an internal SSD - no enclosure) causes the drive to not be read - but does not corrupt the drive. Therefore, question 1 - Am I not allowed to swap adapters?? This seems strange...

I can only test the above in Monterey, as my Mojave machine does not have both USB C and USB A (via hub - the hub has no USB C expansions, otherwise I could test on both machines). So swapping adapters works neither on one machine, or across machines.

• Crucially, if I take my mojave machine out of the equation entirely for a moment... I can successfully CORRUPT my SSD by simply formatting it on Monterey (EXFAT or APFS tested) via the powered hub (where it works fine), then disconnecting, unpowering the hub, and reconnecting. That will corrupt the drive - seems mad, although i suppose the hub could be to blame.

I'll update with my findings as I go. Essentially all I'm looking for is a way for my hard drive to work with both my USB C M1 macbook, and my older USB A computer! I thought I could just switch the adapter if I wanted to change computer, but that seems not to work.

I may just buy an enclosure that has both USB A and C capabilities and end this charade... Either way, I hope this is useful to someone, or better still - if there's any insight to why things aren't working in the plug-and-play way I was expecting. I understand there's quite a few variables at play here with the 2 adapters, hub, and 2 machines.

Thanks

Feb 2, 2023 10:53 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks for the thoughts Martin,

I just tried some tests with HFS+ - Results below -

1. Third test - Trying HFS+ with GUID. Formatted on the Mojave machine (USB A). Added some files to test - all good. Moved it over to the M1 machine via powered hub (still on USB A adapter). Strangely now its reporting errors in finder (error 49244 which i think is the same as before)… Hub may be faulty? Wasn’t able to use it at all on the M1 this time. This doesn’t seem to agree with my previous hypothesis that the hub being unpowered was causing corruption. Now cannot mount on Mojave or Monterey - both fail (its corrupt), and to confirm, there has been no adapter switching. Strange.

HFS+ is actually how this drive was originally formatted. It's worked in a bunch of places, it's only the M1 machine (via the, at the time, unpowered hub) that corrupted it.

Monterey keeps corrupting my external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.