Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"scan text" instead of keyboard

I cannot access my iPad mini anymore. Every time I want to unlock, typing in the passcode, the "scan text" emblem appears. How do I get into my iPad now???

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 15

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 11:30 AM

Hello eschne,

Just to confirm, it seems like the keyboard isn't appearing at all when trying to enter the passcode to unlock your device, is that correct? That information will help us plan how to proceed.

If the keyboard isn't appearing as expected, please try restarting your device using the steps outlined in the following link, as restarting may help correct some issues: Restart your iPad

How to restart an iPad without a Home button

1. Press and hold either volume button and the top button until the power off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart an iPad with a Home button

1. Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait for 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

Can't restart?

Learn what to do if your iPad is frozen, doesn't turn on, or doesn't respond.

You can also find more information about scanning text on iPad here, which may be helpful: Scan text and documents in Notes using the iPad camera

Thanks!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 11:30 AM in response to eschne

Hello eschne,

Just to confirm, it seems like the keyboard isn't appearing at all when trying to enter the passcode to unlock your device, is that correct? That information will help us plan how to proceed.

If the keyboard isn't appearing as expected, please try restarting your device using the steps outlined in the following link, as restarting may help correct some issues: Restart your iPad

How to restart an iPad without a Home button

1. Press and hold either volume button and the top button until the power off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

How to restart an iPad with a Home button

1. Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait for 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

Can't restart?

Learn what to do if your iPad is frozen, doesn't turn on, or doesn't respond.

You can also find more information about scanning text on iPad here, which may be helpful: Scan text and documents in Notes using the iPad camera

Thanks!

"scan text" instead of keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.