Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are Apple Contacts so slow?

What is up with Apple contacts running slow and giving the beachball of death. I have a few thousand contacts, but these are all text records, and it runs fine on my phone. On the macbook pro, it takes 5 minutes to edit a single record.

Steps taken so far:

1) Unlinked my exchange account - no change

2) Opened in safe mode - actually runs slower

3) reset SMC - no change

Ventura 13.0.1

2021 13-inch macbook pro

Intel silicon

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 9:01 PM

k283 wrote:

What is up with Apple contacts running slow and giving the beachball of death. I have a few thousand contacts, but these are all text records, and it runs fine on my phone. On the macbook pro, it takes 5 minutes to edit a single record.

Steps taken so far:
3) reset SMC - no change

Ventura 13.0.1
2021 13-inch macbook pro
Intel silicon

?

Ventura 13.0.1 was the introductory release of the new macOS Ventura....(?)

It is one or the other not both— Intel vs SoC Apple Silicon M1/M2...(?)

There is no 13" 2021 MBP...(?)

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.2

I would start there.

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 9:01 PM in response to k283

k283 wrote:

Steps taken so far:
3) reset SMC - no change

Ventura 13.0.1
2021 13-inch macbook pro
Intel silicon

?

Ventura 13.0.1 was the introductory release of the new macOS Ventura....(?)

It is one or the other not both— Intel vs SoC Apple Silicon M1/M2...(?)

There is no 13" 2021 MBP...(?)

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.2

I would start there.

Feb 3, 2023 9:55 AM in response to k283

k283 wrote:

Thank you, and...

I will update, however, the MacOS version is not the issue, since this has been a "feature" of contacts on the macbook pro since I bought from the Apple store new in 2021.

The model version is Macbook pro 16,2. Probably better than quoting a model year, since this is how MacOS reports the information.

Yes — This is the more reasonable description < Macbook pro 16,2 > of what you have..

Quick edit: I contacted Apple Support, they suggested the following. I will update here on the outcomes for the three I haven't yet tried:

1) Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac --> Diagnostic report has one line: "there are no issues identified " (paraphrased, but close)

2) Restore from time machine --> not tried, but contacts has never worked well after the first OS update back in 2021, and I've had to wipe and reinstall the OS once since.

3) Repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility --> Working on this now

4) Reinstall macOS

What you do not clarify if this Apples' baked in Contacts.app alone or it includes sync with third party contacts as well—this has seen some issues as you describe... you can try disabling those third party... and compare your results...

some examples of related issues and churning contacts:

If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won't sync

Google contacts not syncing to Apple Contacts on Mac

M1 mac google contacts not syncing ... - Apple Discussions

Contacts Won't Sync, Apple Store Couldn't Help

Feb 3, 2023 9:25 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you, and...

I will update, however, the MacOS version is not the issue, since this has been a "feature" of contacts on the macbook pro since I bought from the Apple store new in 2021.

The model version is Macbook pro 16,2. Probably better than quoting a model year, since this is how MacOS reports the information.

Feb 3, 2023 9:33 AM in response to k283

Quick edit: I contacted Apple Support, they suggested the following. I will update here on the outcomes for the three I haven't yet tried:

1) Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac --> Diagnostic report has one line: "there are no issues identified " (paraphrased, but close)

2) Restore from time machine --> not tried, but contacts has never worked well after the first OS update back in 2021, and I've had to wipe and reinstall the OS once since.

3) Repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility --> Working on this now

4) Reinstall macOS

Why are Apple Contacts so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.