Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro M2 12.9 External Display Mirroring Only

When I use either a display port (dp) to usb-c or hdmi to usb-c to use a Dell monitor with my iPad, it only mirrors my screen. I cannot get the iPad to extend screens to the monitor so I can have a different application open on each screen. Does anyone know how to resolve this? I have iPadOS 16.3.

Any advice on how to fix this is much appreciated!

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:32 AM

Presumably you are trying to use the new Stage Manager feature - that effectively provides an extended desktop.

To use Stage Manager with an external monitor, you must update your iPad Pro M2 to iPadOS 16.2 or later. iPadOS 16.3 is current; if you haven’t already updated to this version, you should do so before proceeding.

With your iPad updated, enable Stage Manager:

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Manager on iPad - set to ON

At this point, you will likely see a mirrored display. You need to change a setting to use Stage Manager with your external display:

Settings > Display & Brightness

You should see two monitors listed - your iPad - and your external monitor; tap on the entry for your connected monitor. You should see something like this:

Ensure the Mirror Display is set to OFF - and tap Set.

You may also wish to enjoy the full resolution capability of your iPad Pro 12.9” display:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Display Zoom > select More Space, then Done

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 10:32 AM in response to Clam_

Presumably you are trying to use the new Stage Manager feature - that effectively provides an extended desktop.

To use Stage Manager with an external monitor, you must update your iPad Pro M2 to iPadOS 16.2 or later. iPadOS 16.3 is current; if you haven’t already updated to this version, you should do so before proceeding.

With your iPad updated, enable Stage Manager:

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Manager on iPad - set to ON

At this point, you will likely see a mirrored display. You need to change a setting to use Stage Manager with your external display:

Settings > Display & Brightness

You should see two monitors listed - your iPad - and your external monitor; tap on the entry for your connected monitor. You should see something like this:

Ensure the Mirror Display is set to OFF - and tap Set.

You may also wish to enjoy the full resolution capability of your iPad Pro 12.9” display:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Display Zoom > select More Space, then Done

Feb 6, 2023 10:04 AM in response to Clam_

Hi Clam_,

Regarding connecting an external display to your iPad, mirroring is expected. The information below found in the article here can clarify: Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

"Connect iPad to a display with a cable

With the appropriate cable or adapter, you can connect your iPad to a secondary display, like a computer display, TV, or projector, where you can view the iPad screen."

While it's not possible to extend your iPad display with an external monitor, if you have a Mac you can use your iPad a second display. Find out more information here: Use iPad as a second display for your

Feel free to leave feedback for Apple here: Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers.

iPad Pro M2 12.9 External Display Mirroring Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.