Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air shuts down

My MacBook Air 2015 displays a collection of tiny coloured rectangles on a black screen on startup, then shuts down. Maybe an hour or so later I can get the same result on a startup. This has deteriorated over the last week. It started with shutting itself down while sleeping and being difficult to start to this situation. I have tried the various resets, Vram and Pram with no apparent effect. Did take the machine into a local Mac shop which ran a diagnosis on it which showed a weak battery which was already known. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 6:39 PM

My MacBook Air 2015 displays a collection of tiny coloured rectangles on a black screen on startup, then shuts down. Maybe an hour or so later I can get the same result on a startup. This has deteriorated over the last week. It started with shutting itself down while sleeping and being difficult to start to this situation. I have tried the various resets, Vram and Pram with no apparent effect. Did take the machine into a local Mac shop which ran a diagnosis on it which showed a weak battery which was already known. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2023 6:39 PM in response to ginasdad

Feb 21, 2023 4:57 PM in response to ginasdad

Couln't get any reliable resolution for the MacBook Air so bought the new MacBook Air M2. Very impressive. Couldn't let go of the old one so tried a few things. The reinstall on the OS didn't work since I kept getting a message that I didn't have enough memory. The more I deleted ,the more memory it wanted. Clearly not working. I deleted the HD and reinstalled the OS. Voila, a working computer. I did not do a file transfer from Time Machine since I didn't want to get my old problems back. I was surprised that this wasn't suggested at the Mac store. It was a little drastic since I don't have my old files but I will still have a functional backup computer for internet and mail. Thought this could be helpful to someone.

MacBook Air shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.