Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updates available, but won’t download to install.

2017 iMac currently running Big Sur 11.7.2 The last couple of months, entire system has been stupid slow. Just opening up a program can take a couple of minutes, and forget about trying to run more than 3 apps at once.

Today, I connect my iPhone 13 pro, and I get a message saying I need to update the software before my phone can properly connect to my Mac. However, when I attempt to download the update, I just get stuck watching the spinning circle of doom, but nothing ever happens. Hours have gone by with no change. Tried restarting, same thing.

I do have the ‘Install MacOS Monterey’ app, though absolutely nothing happens when I try to run/install. Help.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.7

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 12:41 AM

Hey there!

I know the spinning wheel feeling, and hope you can sort it out.

If you were attempting to install Monterey through your System Preferences, you can also try opening the Monterey installer from Apple’s website:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Updating is super important, however if that didn’t work, it sounds like maybe the current performance is thwarting the upgrade process.

It may be a good idea to resolve those issues first.

How is the storage on your Mac?:

See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

It full, that may be a problem, as the system needs some even temporary storage to function its best.

Likewise, if you have apps automatically opening when you log in, it’s possible they are causing the problem, you can remove them and restart to test:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/remove-login-items-resolve-startup-problems-mh21210/mac

Activity Monitor May also give hints as to what app or process maybe contributing to the problems:

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise, sometimes upgrading your OS software may work in Safe Mode, as Safe Mode also prevents the problem causing software from running when you try to do the update:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

I have other suggestions if those don’t work, just let me know!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 12:41 AM in response to @MrsS1

Hey there!

I know the spinning wheel feeling, and hope you can sort it out.

If you were attempting to install Monterey through your System Preferences, you can also try opening the Monterey installer from Apple’s website:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Updating is super important, however if that didn’t work, it sounds like maybe the current performance is thwarting the upgrade process.

It may be a good idea to resolve those issues first.

How is the storage on your Mac?:

See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

It full, that may be a problem, as the system needs some even temporary storage to function its best.

Likewise, if you have apps automatically opening when you log in, it’s possible they are causing the problem, you can remove them and restart to test:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/remove-login-items-resolve-startup-problems-mh21210/mac

Activity Monitor May also give hints as to what app or process maybe contributing to the problems:

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise, sometimes upgrading your OS software may work in Safe Mode, as Safe Mode also prevents the problem causing software from running when you try to do the update:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

I have other suggestions if those don’t work, just let me know!

Feb 4, 2023 3:50 AM in response to @MrsS1

Q - " 2017 iMac currently running Big Sur 11.7.2 The last couple of months, entire system has been stupid slow. Just opening up a program can take a couple of minutes, and forget about trying to run more than 3 apps at once. "

A - It is suggested to remedy that issue before attempting any remedial actions like iPhone connecting to computer and Updating from Monterey 12.6.2 to Monterey 12.6.3 the most recent version

A - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Feb 6, 2023 12:25 PM in response to @MrsS1

Thanks for the responses! Just a quick update - So, after several attempts to access the update via different methods, but getting the same result of a black screen and having to force shut down, safe mode was utilized. Once that happened, I suddenly got a new notification about the Ventura update being available. I WAS able to download and install Ventura, and the computer seems to be operating slightly better. So, problem wasn’t necessarily solved, but circumvented.

With regard to some of the other questions/suggestions I received, the storage space is less than 1/3 its capacity, so I don’t think that’s a problem. I did have the iMessages app opening automatically at start up (and I have a ******** of messages going way, waaay back, so it’s a task), but I turned that off about a week ago, just attempting to remedy the slowness. It helped a bit, as did clearing cookies and caches folders. But that wasn’t the issue stopping the update, unfortunately. I did try to access the update a few different ways, and my computer showed that the update was downloaded, just wouldn’t install.

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it greatly! ☺️

Feb 6, 2023 7:13 PM in response to @MrsS1

Glad you got it sorted out! The fact that it allowed to install in safe mode may show that there are still programs installed on your Mac causing an issue. You can run Etrecheck as P. Phillips had mentioned, but perhaps that would be best in a new post regarding performance. Take care!

Updates available, but won’t download to install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.