You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I locate an app on my iPhone?

I know how to find an app to open it. But where is the app on the phone? A long press only has the option to Delete the App. Surely there most be a simple way to quickly locate an app on the phone the way the Mac Finder can locate a file. I want to move an app to specific location, but first I have to find it. I must be really thick but I can't see a way for the OS to do this.

Thanks very much.

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:41 AM

In general…

…iPhone can re-sort all apps (and clobber all folders) using an alphanumerical sort (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset {iPhone, iPad} > Reset > reset home screen layout),

…or you can pull the apps from the app library on the last page on iPhone,

…or you can look through what you have for pages of icons and folders of icons to find the app (brute-force search),

…or can use Focus to reduce the number of apps visible in any particular Focus (cleaning up as you go),

…or can use Spotlight search to search for the app when needed.

But for what you want here, use Spotlight search for the name of the app, and then drag the icon from the Spotlight search results to where you want it. Press and hold on the icon to trigger jiggle mode, and drag away.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2023 7:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

In general…

…iPhone can re-sort all apps (and clobber all folders) using an alphanumerical sort (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset {iPhone, iPad} > Reset > reset home screen layout),

…or you can pull the apps from the app library on the last page on iPhone,

…or you can look through what you have for pages of icons and folders of icons to find the app (brute-force search),

…or can use Focus to reduce the number of apps visible in any particular Focus (cleaning up as you go),

…or can use Spotlight search to search for the app when needed.

But for what you want here, use Spotlight search for the name of the app, and then drag the icon from the Spotlight search results to where you want it. Press and hold on the icon to trigger jiggle mode, and drag away.

How do I locate an app on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.