Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving photos within an album

I have a regular album (not a Smart Album) in Photos, Vers. 7, macOS Monterey, which contains several hundred photos. I am moving the photos around in the album to change the order in which they appear. I select a photo to move and when I start dragging it up towards the top of the window I expect that the window will scroll so that I can continue dragging the photo farther up in the album. The window does not scroll. I know that when you drag objects around in other Mac apps the window always scrolls. Why isn't this happening in Photos?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 2:54 AM

This feature is no longer working properly in Photos 7 on Monterey, and it has not yet been fixed in Photos 8 on macOS 13 Ventura either, so upgrading to a newer system version will not solve the problem for you. It used to work well in the previous system versions.

Right now you can only drag the photos up to the upper border of the window, drop them, then scroll the window, drag further, etc, Or try to scroll with your fingers on the trackpad while you are dragging.

I am avoiding large albums and are splitting large albums into several smaller albums and group them inside a folder. That is making it much easier to keep them arranged and avoids a lot of scrolling and dragging across large distances.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 2:54 AM in response to Bob Switzer

This feature is no longer working properly in Photos 7 on Monterey, and it has not yet been fixed in Photos 8 on macOS 13 Ventura either, so upgrading to a newer system version will not solve the problem for you. It used to work well in the previous system versions.

Right now you can only drag the photos up to the upper border of the window, drop them, then scroll the window, drag further, etc, Or try to scroll with your fingers on the trackpad while you are dragging.

I am avoiding large albums and are splitting large albums into several smaller albums and group them inside a folder. That is making it much easier to keep them arranged and avoids a lot of scrolling and dragging across large distances.

moving photos within an album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.