Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot re-install macOS to my MacBook pro A1398

My wife owned this MacBook for a while. Recently she cannot login to the MacBook pro for unknown reasons, we move all the data to another Macbook using a cable and made her macbook a target drive. Now, I am trying to reinstall this broken Macbook. I research on the internet there are so many different ways such as command+R, Option+command+R, shift+option+command+R, none of them work, then I tried to re-install OS by using sudo /Applications/.... to create a USB installer, but when I tried to re-install, the progress bar stuck at around 20%, I replace a new SSD drive same thing. Looks like something is locking this MacBook to prevent it to be re-installed. Any idea? Thank you in advance.

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 5:12 PM

Hey ktsu10,

We'd recommend reviewing this article as it provides options and requirements for reinstalling macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

"Other macOS installation options

When you install macOS from Recovery, you get the current version of the most recently installed macOS, with some exceptions:

1. On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  2. On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  3. If you just erased your entire startup disk, you might be offered an earlier compatible version of macOS.
  4. If the Mac logic board was just replaced, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  5. You can also use these methods to install macOS, if the macOS is compatible with your Mac:
  6. Use Software Update or the App Store 
  7. Use a bootable installer

"

If that's not working as expected, we'd suggest contacting Apple Support for assistance here: Get Support

Thanks!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 5:12 PM in response to ktsu10

Hey ktsu10,

We'd recommend reviewing this article as it provides options and requirements for reinstalling macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

"Other macOS installation options

When you install macOS from Recovery, you get the current version of the most recently installed macOS, with some exceptions:

1. On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  2. On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  3. If you just erased your entire startup disk, you might be offered an earlier compatible version of macOS.
  4. If the Mac logic board was just replaced, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  5. You can also use these methods to install macOS, if the macOS is compatible with your Mac:
  6. Use Software Update or the App Store 
  7. Use a bootable installer

"

If that's not working as expected, we'd suggest contacting Apple Support for assistance here: Get Support

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2023 10:58 AM in response to WinsC1

WinsC1, thank you for your reply. In the past 30 days, I tried everything you said. None of them worked for me. I felt there is something that locks my MacBook preventing me from installing the OS.

For example, when I use shift+option+command+R, it asked me for WIFI, After entering my WIFI Info, it gets into an Apple icon and a grey screen with a circle which I saw it all the time on YouTube when Youtubers teach how to reset the MacBook. The difference is the circle was not spinning, my Macbook just hung for a couple of hours until I press and hold the power button to quit.

I tried a bootable USB installer to install Big Sur 11, I use "sudo /Applications/..." to create the USB boot disk. After a couple of hours, I get to a screen that said "Your Computer Restarted Because of a Problem...", and asked me to press a key to restart, but it keep getting back to the same message.

Feel bad if I have to throw it in the garbage It is still like new, my wife used it, and now she bought a new MacBook, I am happy to inherit it, but I have to get it to work first.

But thank you for your help. I believe all you said are the right way to reset the macOS because I tried them all. It just unfortunately did not work for my MacBook.

I cannot re-install macOS to my MacBook pro A1398

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.