Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IF MY MACBOOK PRO WILL NOT DOWNLOAD THE BIG SUR VERSION OF THE OS DUE TO MY MACBOOK PRO'S AGE, HOW AM I TO DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE IF IT REQUIRES BIG SUR....SUCH AS TURBOTAX?

Why won't Big Sur download to my MacBook Pro? it is an older MacBook but software will not download now with Catalina. Is this another scam by Apple to get Apple owners to drop $2000-$3000 for another MacBook?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 1:49 AM

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install.

Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

Does this specific computer appear as listed to Qualify to upGrade to Big Sur ?

Apple decides what computers Qualify and most often the reason is does Not Qualify is because the Hardware is Too Old

If the user wishes to explore the Apple Trade-In  Process where the Value of the exiting device could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer, iPhone or iPad  

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 1:49 AM in response to Merc9853

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install.

Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

Does this specific computer appear as listed to Qualify to upGrade to Big Sur ?

Apple decides what computers Qualify and most often the reason is does Not Qualify is because the Hardware is Too Old

If the user wishes to explore the Apple Trade-In  Process where the Value of the exiting device could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer, iPhone or iPad  

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

IF MY MACBOOK PRO WILL NOT DOWNLOAD THE BIG SUR VERSION OF THE OS DUE TO MY MACBOOK PRO'S AGE, HOW AM I TO DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE IF IT REQUIRES BIG SUR....SUCH AS TURBOTAX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.