Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my apple id will not allow me to update software on my mac pro

My new Apple Mac Pro M1 will not accept my Apple ID to update the new software, however, it allows me to download apple apps. How can download the newest software?

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:41 AM

Purchases, INCLUDING MacOS itself, are tagged with your Apple-ID when purchased.

You can only upgrade the installed version when you supply the same Apple-ID as the original purchase.

so the two alternatives are:

• use the old Apple-ID -OR-

• make backups (which you should have been doing all along)

ERASE your Mac NB>> (this deletes ALL your files),

install the factory-original MacOS which is tied only to the Mac serial number, then

use your preferred Apple-ID to obtain upgrades to that version, then

restore your files from backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 10:41 AM in response to Silly462

Purchases, INCLUDING MacOS itself, are tagged with your Apple-ID when purchased.

You can only upgrade the installed version when you supply the same Apple-ID as the original purchase.

so the two alternatives are:

• use the old Apple-ID -OR-

• make backups (which you should have been doing all along)

ERASE your Mac NB>> (this deletes ALL your files),

install the factory-original MacOS which is tied only to the Mac serial number, then

use your preferred Apple-ID to obtain upgrades to that version, then

restore your files from backup.

Feb 5, 2023 10:32 AM in response to den.thed

I did migrate from my old Mac during initial setup and I am the only user. I am unsure if I used a different User ID as my new Mac was purchased one year ago. However, I was able to update software on this newer Mac since then. It has just been the last several months that I am having trouble. I changed my User ID about a month ago because I was unable to purchase Apple One. But, when I changed my ID, I was able to make the purchase. I now have two software updates that I cannot load because it will not accept my new ID which is currently updated on Appleid. I can do simple fix tasks, but I feel uneasy messing around with settings. Should I bring the Mac to a Genius Bar?

my apple id will not allow me to update software on my mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.