Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation Lock

I don't have any way to contact the owner of the apple id Activation Lock. What can I do? (I don't know what gen I my iPad mini is btw).

iPad mini Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 7:33 PM

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock ( Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support ) and Find My ( iCloud - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

Click on this link to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

If you do not know the required information, are not the owner, or do not have Apple accepted proof of purchase, get the owner of the account to remove the lock (the section: "If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad" in: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support ), or return the device for a refund, or recycle the device. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner is unknown and has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen, there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 7:33 PM in response to TimmyJJ

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock ( Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support ) and Find My ( iCloud - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

Click on this link to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

If you do not know the required information, are not the owner, or do not have Apple accepted proof of purchase, get the owner of the account to remove the lock (the section: "If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad" in: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support ), or return the device for a refund, or recycle the device. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner is unknown and has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen, there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

Activation Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.