Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a Laser from nightclubs damage your lens?

So I just bought my iPhone 14 Pro Max last November and I have a little tiny purple spot from my camera. I always go to nightclubs where there are lasers and I'm thinking that it came from there. However, I had a thought on my mind that lasers from nightclubs are not that high when it comes to intensity as sometimes lasers are caught on my eyes and I didn't even feel a thing.

Just a little backstory, there was one time where we went for a nightclub and went straight to beach early in the morning. I was using cellular data and hotspot and noticed that my phone is too hot. It was around 11:00 AM here in the Philippines (where you know, summer is literally summer). That was when I noticed that purple spot on my camera whenever I am using the main lens.

I brought it now to Apple Service Center where it currently up for diagnosis.

I always go to nightclubs and loves to take videos and photos for memories but I'm worried that it might happen again. So the questions is, can a laser from nightclubs damage your camera lenses? Or it was because of the heat of the sun? Thank you so much!

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:31 PM

Direct sunlight can very quickly damage a lens, whether on an iPhone or a professional camera.

Light from a laser can do the same if it is a direct hit; note Sony, which makes the imaging sensor in the iPhone states:

Do not directly expose the Lens to beams such as laser beams. This may cause damage to the image sensor and cause the camera to malfunction.

Tips for avoiding such damage:
Avoid exposing your camera lens during laser events / display.
Always use the lens cap to cover the lens or store in camera bag when not using your camera.

Note: In either outdoor or indoor environment when there is a laser display, tendency of direct or indirect (laser beam bounce from reflective object) damage to the camera CMOS Sensor is still very high.

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/articles/00205361
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 10:31 PM in response to rchplpno

Direct sunlight can very quickly damage a lens, whether on an iPhone or a professional camera.

Light from a laser can do the same if it is a direct hit; note Sony, which makes the imaging sensor in the iPhone states:

Do not directly expose the Lens to beams such as laser beams. This may cause damage to the image sensor and cause the camera to malfunction.

Tips for avoiding such damage:
Avoid exposing your camera lens during laser events / display.
Always use the lens cap to cover the lens or store in camera bag when not using your camera.

Note: In either outdoor or indoor environment when there is a laser display, tendency of direct or indirect (laser beam bounce from reflective object) damage to the camera CMOS Sensor is still very high.

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/articles/00205361

Can a Laser from nightclubs damage your lens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.