Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has Apple removed the direct download link for XCode command line tools?

We used to be able to do a direct download of the DMG for xcode command line tools from the Apple website at https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Command%20Line%20Tools%20for%20Xcode%2014

However, this no longer works. There's even a link saying more downloads, but this only takes you back to the OS section of the Downloads page. I don't want to download all of XCode because it's several GB and I'm on a metered internet connection.

If I try to download the command line tools from the terminal using `xcode-select --install`, it opens a pop-up, but this has been stuck at "67 hours, 29 minutes remaining" for several hours now:

I just recently upgraded to macOS Ventura, and now I cannot work anymore because all my software development tools require xcode's command line tools! Please help! Bring back the direct download, as that used to always be much faster...

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 2:45 AM

The Command Line Tools for Xcode 14.2 remain available for download. So do versions over three years old. Just there:

You can get the current Command Line Tools for Xcode that are compatible for your operating system version from the Terminal. This does not install Xcode:

xcode-select --install

Similar questions

4 replies

Why has Apple removed the direct download link for XCode command line tools?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.