Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Midi Setup limited to 48 kHz

I just got a new Mac Mini M2 Pro. I route my audio via HDMI through my Harman Kardon receiver, which is capable of 192 kHz. Now, with my receiver selected as the output, all of the options in Audio Midi Setup are limited to 48 kHz (see image). Any ideas? Thanks.

Mac mini (2023 with M2 Pro)

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 5:27 AM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2023 9:58 AM in response to greguva

In case anyone else runs into this problem, here's what I found out after spending about an hour on the phone with Apple Support, which was very helpful. It turns out that macOS blocks hi-res audio greater than 48 kHz via HDMI in Silicon Macs (in fact, it also blocks 44.1 kHz output). To quote from the Apple document on hi-res music (About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support):

• 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro support native playback of songs at sample rates up to 96 kHz.
  • To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz on other Mac computers, you need an external digital-to-analog converter.

I'm hoping that there is a very good reason for this, but I can't think of one. And I don't know if using an external HDMI DAC actually works, but there's a list of some HDMI audio extractors here:

https://audiosolace.com/best-hdmi-audio-extractors/

Anyway, Apple Support pointed me to this potential software solution using the app BlackHole:

How can I pass hi-res audio through my HD… - Apple Community

While this seems to have worked well for the member who provided the solution, it didn't work at all for me for some reason, but YMMV.

What worked for me was a Creative Sound Blaster X4, USB input to optical output. It will output files up to 24/192. You should download the Creative App for Mac, which is harder to find that it should be (https://support.creative.com/search/search-result.aspx?search=x4). I have a lot of multichannel hi-res audio files, and was pleased to find that they would play just fine.

Hope this helps. And I hope that Apple fixes this problem (I have provided feedback to Apple, FWIW).

UPDATE

Upon further review, it turns out that the Sound Blaster was transmitting only at 48 kHz. So, I found my old NuForce USB to SPDIF converter, which works great … for stereo. I still don't have a way to play my multichannel audio files.

Feb 7, 2023 3:42 PM in response to greguva

Hello greguva,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that your Audio Midi is capable of 192 kHz but you’re only able to select 48 kHz. We are happy to help.

We recommend trying some isolating troubleshooting steps. We recommend testing in safe mode and a new user account.

Safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again."

Add new user account: Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

"Create a new user or group.

Click the New Account pop-up menu (you may be asked to enter your password), then choose a type of account.

• Administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.
  • Standard: Standard users are set up by an administrator. Standard users can install apps and change their own settings, but can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.
  • Sharing Only: Sharing-only users can access shared files remotely, but can’t log in to the computer or change settings. To give the user permission to access your shared files or screen, you may need to change options in File Sharing, Screen Sharing, or Remote Management settings. See Set up file sharing and Share the screen of another Mac.
  • Group: Groups allow multiple users to have the same access privileges. You control a group’s access to your shared folders by setting access permissions in the File Sharing options in Sharing settings.

See Add a user or group."

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Feb 14, 2023 12:57 AM in response to greguva

In case anyone else runs into this problem, here's what I found out after spending about an hour on the phone with Apple Support, which was very helpful. It turns out that macOS blocks hi-res audio greater than 48 kHz via HDMI in Silicon Macs (in fact, it also blocks 44.1 kHz output). To quote from the Apple document on hi-res music (About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support):

• 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro support native playback of songs at sample rates up to 96 kHz.
  • To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz on other Mac computers, you need an external digital-to-analog converter.

I'm hoping that there is a very good reason for this, but I can't think of one. And I don't know if using an external HDMI DAC actually works, but there's a list of some HDMI audio extractors here:

https://audiosolace.com/best-hdmi-audio-extractors/

Anyway, Apple Support pointed me to this potential software solution using the app BlackHole:

How can I pass hi-res audio through my HD… - Apple Community

While this seems to have worked well for the member who provided the solution, it didn't work at all for me for some reason, but YMMV.

What worked for me was a Creative Sound Blaster X4, USB input to optical output. It will output files up to 24/192. You should download the Creative App for Mac, which is harder to find that it should be (https://support.creative.com/search/search-result.aspx?search=x4). I have a lot of multichannel hi-res audio files, and was pleased to find that they would play just fine.

Hope this helps. And I hope that Apple fixes this problem (I have provided feedback to Apple, FWIW).

Audio Midi Setup limited to 48 kHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.