Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in Pages on MacBook Pro not working.

On my MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.2), when I search in Pages (12.2.1), it finds the number of occurrences and highlights them (gray box) throughout the doc, but does not jump to the first occurrence. If the displayed page has the search items, I can switch between only the occurrences that exist on that page only.

I have cleared the find history, quit, and restarted with no change.

I can find items normally in the same doc on my iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm be dealing with this for months.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 12:03 PM

Pages Find/Replace on the Mac may need you to press the > button once to select (with yellow highlight) the first occurrence. There is no random access to search results on the current or other pages. Use the < or > key to move sequentially to the specific found item.

Pages on the iPhone/iPad is not the same application as on the Mac and its Find/Replace facility may behave differently for that reason.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 12:03 PM in response to KurmaDas

Pages Find/Replace on the Mac may need you to press the > button once to select (with yellow highlight) the first occurrence. There is no random access to search results on the current or other pages. Use the < or > key to move sequentially to the specific found item.

Pages on the iPhone/iPad is not the same application as on the Mac and its Find/Replace facility may behave differently for that reason.

Feb 7, 2023 2:13 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your reply.

Clicking the > or < will only move to the next item on the current screen if there is an occurrence.

Example:

If I have a document 3 pages long, with the word "go" twice on each page. I'm viewing the 2nd page and searching for the word "go". Find will note that there are 6 occurrences and highlight in yellow the first occurrence on the screen and gray highlight all others. Clicking the > in the Find box the system will move the yellow highlight to the second "go", clicking the > again will yellow highlight the first "go" on the second page again, not moving to the third page. If the first "go" is yellow highlighted on the second page and I click the < key the first "go" on the second page remains yellow highlighted, never moving to the second "go" on the first page.

If I scroll to the third page I can see the two grayed highlighted "go"s and then click either the < or > key on the screen the system returns to the second page and highlights the next "go" on that page.

It's like the other pages do not exist, but Find found them. i.e. 6 "go"s in this example.

Congrats if you were able to get that, on the first go.

Thank you, again.

Search in Pages on MacBook Pro not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.