Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Disconnects

I am trying to run my MacBook Pro 2021 (Monterey) through an external monitor.

It works perfectly when my Macbook is open however I would like to use it in clamshell to reduce the risk of screen burn and strain on processing.

Whenever I close my Macbook to do so, all of the functions still work fine however it disconnects me from the Wi-Fi after a minute or 2. I have tried to re-connect to the Wi-Fi through my monitor with my Macbook closed and it fails to do so.

I thought that it may be going into sleep mode so I changed the following settings:

"System Preferences"

"Battery"

"Power Adapter"

"Turn Display Off After" - Set to Never

"System Preferences"

"Battery"

"Power Adapter"

"Prevent Your Mac From Automatically Sleeping When the Display Is Off" - Ticked Box

"System Preferences"

"Battery"

"Power Adapter"

"Wake For Network Access" - Left this Ticked as default

Please could someone advise on where I am going wrong?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 8, 2023 10:41 AM in response to Page1991

Hello Page1991,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. There some steps we can recommend to help further isolate this issue or possibly resolve it. First, make sure that you’re using the correct settings with your router. This can help performance and reliability: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your Wi-Fi continues to disconnect, then we recommend that you review and follow the steps listed here for Wi-Fi issues: Solve internet connection problems on Mac - Apple Support

1.) Check your Wi-Fi connection.
2.) Check the status of your network connection. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Network  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
3.) Check your cables and external devices.
4.) Check your internet service.

Also, we might have to try steps that isolate possible software issues as the root cause for this issue. For example, if you have pending updates available, it would be a good idea to install them. Keeping your Mac fully updated can help resolve various issues since updates include fixes. If you do have pending updates available, this resource can guide you through the update process: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

1.) From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings or System Preferences.
-If you chose System Settings, click General on the left side of the window. Then click Software Update on the right.
-If you chose System Preferences, click Software Update in the window.
2.) Software Update then checks for new software. 
-If Software Update finds new software, click the button to install it. The button might be named Update Now, Upgrade Now, Install Now, or Restart Now, for example. You might then be asked to enter your administrator password.
-If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only software that is compatible with your Mac.

We hope these steps are helpful. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Cheers.

Wi-Fi Disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.