Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi drops when using HDMI, runs fine when disconnected

I have a desk setup with a mouse, keyboard and monitor. The mouse and keyboard work fine, but as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable I either can't connect to wifi at all or it drops to maybe 2-5 mbps if I'm lucky. It sometimes messes with my keyboard too, when I unplug my HDMI and reconnect it through a different hub sometimes my keyboard stops working as well. It will be powered but not connected to my macbook. When I unplug the HDMI and reconnect the keyboard it works fine again. So the problem does seem to be coming from the HDMI/monitor. What can I do to solve this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 3:11 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 3:11 PM in response to ninaxnne

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

WiFi drops when using HDMI, runs fine when disconnected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.