Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano (7th) not syncing on M1 MBA with 13.2 Ventura - AMPDevicesAgent crashing

Hey there,

I've been trying to sync my iPod nano 7th generation to my MacBook Air M1 with macOS 13.2 Ventura. It first didn't work, the iPod had been synced to a different device previously so I decided to Recover it and start over.

The Finder keeps getting stuck in trying to recover the iPod even after rebooting both devices. The iPod got stuck and I had to long-press the lock and home button in order for it to reboot and boot into recovery mode. Now the only option is for the finder to recover it.

I get an error message that "AMPDevicesAgent quit unexpectedly". I looked in the Console and saw, that it must have crashed every time I tried to sync the iPod.

When I try to launch the agent manually again, it crashes instantly.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AMPDevices.framework/Versions/A/Support/AMPDevicesAgent

The iPod is connected directly via a lightning to USB-C cable to the MacBook Air. What can I do?

Here is the Crash report:

Here another one after trying again:

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 4:10 PM

Hey there, thanks for that response, none of this worked unfortunately.

I found a commend on Reddit that solved my problem. I'll quote it here:

1. Close all programs and apps before starting.
  2. Plug in the iPod. Open Finder and click on the iPod with the iPod icon (Not the external drive icon).
  3. In the Summary tab click Restore. Enter password...
  4. Looking at the actual iPod screen wait until the Syncing is finished
  5. and it displays that it is connected (This is were the computer gets
  6. stuck).
  7. Next, open Disk Utility and you should see the iPod listed in the external drive section. It will be greyed out and labeled as disk4s2 or something similar depending on how many drives you have connected. Right click the drive and select Eject. You'll notice the iPod rebooting and finishing the restore process.
  8. While this is happening open Activity Monitor and find the WindowServer process. Select it and stop the process by hitting the Stop button (The button at the top that looks like a stop sign with an X in the middle).
  9. This will cause your screen to go black for second but it's not a rebooting. The WindowServer process manages and deals with all the visual appearances on the Mac display. When you stop the process it restarts the WindowServer process immediately. You'll have to enter you password to unlock the screen. Now the iPod restore process is no longer stuck.
  10. Open Finder. When you click on the iPod with the
  11. iPod icon you'll be greeted with the Sync your iPod screen. You can sync
  12. your iPod just like normal.

Here is the Link to that comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipod/comments/r3xcsy/restore_isnt_working_on_newest_macos/j11fskq/?context=2

Apple just does not have their stuff together when it comes to iPod syncing since Monterey (2021) so it seems.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Rob_H1

Hey there, thanks for that response, none of this worked unfortunately.

I found a commend on Reddit that solved my problem. I'll quote it here:

1. Close all programs and apps before starting.
  2. Plug in the iPod. Open Finder and click on the iPod with the iPod icon (Not the external drive icon).
  3. In the Summary tab click Restore. Enter password...
  4. Looking at the actual iPod screen wait until the Syncing is finished
  5. and it displays that it is connected (This is were the computer gets
  6. stuck).
  7. Next, open Disk Utility and you should see the iPod listed in the external drive section. It will be greyed out and labeled as disk4s2 or something similar depending on how many drives you have connected. Right click the drive and select Eject. You'll notice the iPod rebooting and finishing the restore process.
  8. While this is happening open Activity Monitor and find the WindowServer process. Select it and stop the process by hitting the Stop button (The button at the top that looks like a stop sign with an X in the middle).
  9. This will cause your screen to go black for second but it's not a rebooting. The WindowServer process manages and deals with all the visual appearances on the Mac display. When you stop the process it restarts the WindowServer process immediately. You'll have to enter you password to unlock the screen. Now the iPod restore process is no longer stuck.
  10. Open Finder. When you click on the iPod with the
  11. iPod icon you'll be greeted with the Sync your iPod screen. You can sync
  12. your iPod just like normal.

Here is the Link to that comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipod/comments/r3xcsy/restore_isnt_working_on_newest_macos/j11fskq/?context=2

Apple just does not have their stuff together when it comes to iPod syncing since Monterey (2021) so it seems.

Feb 8, 2023 10:58 AM in response to gabriel3374

Hey there gabriel3374,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide some assistance.

The actions in this article can help with the issue you're describing:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If the issue persists, see if this occurs on another computer or using another cable to help isolate the issue.

If this issue occurs with another computer and another cable, contact Apple directly to investigate:

Get Support

Have a great day!

iPod nano (7th) not syncing on M1 MBA with 13.2 Ventura - AMPDevicesAgent crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.