Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a bootable installer from my Mac running Monterey?

I'm trying to install El Cap on my older Mac. With a usb installer. How do I create a bootable installer from my Mac running Monterey? All instructions assume I can download the installer app not the dmg which is the only thing available from apple.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 2:50 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer.

Example : Bootable Installer of El Capitan would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run El Capitan

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 2:50 AM in response to dcablue1

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer.

Example : Bootable Installer of El Capitan would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run El Capitan

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Feb 7, 2023 8:57 AM in response to dcablue1

Unfortunately the only way to download the macOS 10.11 installer is in .dmg format. Any computer can be used to download the .dmg file, but you will require access to a Qualifying Mac generally from 2008 to 2015 in order to run the .pkg file within the mounted .dmg file in order to extract the real installer app into the Applications folder. A Qualifying Mac is one which is compatible with macOS 10.11 although the Qualifying Mac can be running any OS. See this article to find a Qualifying Mac for macOS 10.11:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

A few years ago I did have instructions for using the command line to manually extract files from the .pkg file in order to make a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer, but Apple changed something and the instructions had to be modified...I have no idea if that method will even work these days. Even when the instructions worked, they were confusing to follow even when you were familiar with the command line. I don't currently have a link to those instructions.

You can try using DiskMaker X to make a bootable macOS USB installer, but I have no idea if it will work these days.

Feb 7, 2023 9:59 AM in response to BDAqua

Does this require having the actual macOS installer .app bundle? If so, then this won't work for recent versions macOS 10.12 and earlier as they are now downloaded as .dmg files with a .pkg extractor app inside. I thought maybe DiskMaker X was able to download the actual components from an Apple server (I have seen instructions to do this but cannot find them...plus Apple does tend to change what is available).

Glad to know it is theoretically possible.

How do I create a bootable installer from my Mac running Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.