Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn off screen time request by iMessage?

Screen time request being sent by iMessage is super annoying and buggy on my macbook pro (it causes my whole iMessage to lag and spinning beachball... I have a M1 macbook pro 16GB ram... it should not have that impact).

How can I turn it off from iMessage, so I just get the old iOS notification?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 12:37 PM

Same here. This new feature is infuriating. The iMessage chats I have with my kids are now spammed with Screen Time requests which every night ai have to go through and delete in order to still see the actual messages between us.

Apple need to make this feature optional. The only way to do this presumably is to send them feedback (Google “Apple feedback”), which I recommend anyone else affected by this does!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Andrew Martyn

Same here. This new feature is infuriating. The iMessage chats I have with my kids are now spammed with Screen Time requests which every night ai have to go through and delete in order to still see the actual messages between us.

Apple need to make this feature optional. The only way to do this presumably is to send them feedback (Google “Apple feedback”), which I recommend anyone else affected by this does!

Feb 8, 2023 4:46 PM in response to Andrew Martyn

Hi Andrew Martyn,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that you are looking to stop receiving Screen Time request via iMessage because you are experiencing performance-related issues with the Messages app.

We are committed to making sure that you get the most out of your Apple devices and services.

If you would like to troubleshoot this issue, we recommend that you start by restarting the devices.

1. Restart your iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Also, let’s check for a software update and make sure that you are running the latest version of iOS and macOS.

While it isn't inherently assured that an update will resolve the issue, updating to the latest software version for your device can help isolate potential software issues. 

On your iPhone, kindly secure a backup and update.

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  2. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

On your MacBook Pro, kindly secure a backup first if possible.

Then, update to the latest supported macOS version of your device, and let us know if the update helped.

1. Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support
  2. Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Checking if the issue persists on safe mode may also help.

Performing this step may help resolve the issue, or further isolate the issue.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you want to make changes on request settings in Screen Time on Mac, please follow the steps below.

1. "To change these settings on your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings,
  2. Then click Screen Time in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  3. Click the Family Member pop-up menu on the right, choose the child that requested more time, then click Requests."

You can use the article below as a reference.

Change Requests settings in Screen Time on Mac - Apple Support

Take care!

Feb 9, 2023 11:20 AM in response to kamote0628

All OS are up to date. All hardware less than 18 months old.

I'd really just like to turn off the "Message" notification on my phone and revert to the iOS notification.

Also, it's quite strange - for one of my kids, I get it in "Message", the other kid I still get the old way (as an iOS notification). Seems like a poor feature design and release.

Feb 9, 2023 12:02 PM in response to Andrew Martyn

Hey Andrew Martyn,

According to this article, you can find ask to buy requests in Messages: Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy. It appears this how requests are sent out.

"The Screen Time sidebar includes a Requests section when you have unanswered requests from a child account. From here you can manage all requests from your child. Requests for approval also arrive as notifications, and you can approve directly from the notification. " For more information, click here: Use Screen Time on your Mac.

With Ask To Buy, "the request appears in Messages if the child made the request on an iPhone with iOS 16.2 or later, and all of the parent or guardian’s Apple devices have macOS 13.1, iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, watchOS 9.2, or later." For ore details, click here: Turn on Ask to Buy for Family Sharing purchases on Mac.

Doesn't look like the setting can be turned off. If you would like to submit suggestions and peer feedback to Apple, you may do so here: Product Feedback - Apple

Take care.

How can I turn off screen time request by iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.