Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD/CD player for my iMac M1

I want a cd/dvd player for my iMac M1 OS 13.1. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 2:46 PM

If you're going to do a lot of ripping or playing of videos, etc. I'd get a self powered optical drive that has a faster interface than USB-A which is what the SuperDrive has. I'd also get a drawer loading unit.

Burning should always be done at the slowest available speed to insure the best possible burn.

I do a lot of audiobook ripping so got an earlier model of this one: OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive with M-DISC Support.

It's an excellent unit and has a much faster connectivity rate, USB-C, than USB-A.

Just some food for thought.

Note: any optical drive you get must be connected directly to the M1 via a USB port and not thru a hub.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 2:46 PM in response to Schnellerkerl

If you're going to do a lot of ripping or playing of videos, etc. I'd get a self powered optical drive that has a faster interface than USB-A which is what the SuperDrive has. I'd also get a drawer loading unit.

Burning should always be done at the slowest available speed to insure the best possible burn.

I do a lot of audiobook ripping so got an earlier model of this one: OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive with M-DISC Support.

It's an excellent unit and has a much faster connectivity rate, USB-C, than USB-A.

Just some food for thought.

Note: any optical drive you get must be connected directly to the M1 via a USB port and not thru a hub.

DVD/CD player for my iMac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.