Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple external DVD player

I just purchased a 24" Apple computer. It is running Ventura 13.1 with an M1 chip. It does not have a DVD player. I am trying to find a cd/dvd player compatible for this computer. I purchased some cheaper players from Amazon only to find out they are not compatible. I have looked at the Apple site and the site does not list my new Apple computer as compatible. Any ideas???

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:40 PM

If you're going to do ripping of audiobooks or music CDs you'll want a drive that has a faster interface than the Apple Super Drive. I also wanted one that had it's own power source so as to not load the USB ports on my Mac. I do a lot of ripping of audiobooks and purchase an earlier versions of this unit from OWC (MacSale.com) as it had a faster read rate that most other drives. I'm not concerned about burn speed because I burn at the slowest speed available to insure the best burn:

OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive

Another feature of the unit is the fact that it has a drawer loading tray which is easier to clean in case of disc jamming.

Just some food for thought.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 3:40 PM in response to Motorrider

If you're going to do ripping of audiobooks or music CDs you'll want a drive that has a faster interface than the Apple Super Drive. I also wanted one that had it's own power source so as to not load the USB ports on my Mac. I do a lot of ripping of audiobooks and purchase an earlier versions of this unit from OWC (MacSale.com) as it had a faster read rate that most other drives. I'm not concerned about burn speed because I burn at the slowest speed available to insure the best burn:

OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive

Another feature of the unit is the fact that it has a drawer loading tray which is easier to clean in case of disc jamming.

Just some food for thought.

Apple external DVD player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.