Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External DVD drive

So I recently bought a cheap and cheerful external DVD drive for my iMac as I enjoy watching the occasional DVD.

It's proving nigh on impossible to use as I can't get the device recognised by the Mac. I plug it in via USB put a DVD in and I get loads of noise and flashing lights but all quietens down after about 10 seconds and nothing showing in locations.

If I then plug the player into one of the other USB sockets the process starts again but nothing in locations. My success rate of actually getting the player recognised is about 1 in 10 moves of the USB and it appears completely random as to whether it will work or not!!

I know you're all screaming "should have bought a better player" but is that really it? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Nick

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 11:09 PM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2022 8:23 AM in response to enjaybee

You have us operating with painfully little technical information here. Please post:

• the SUB-Model of your iMac and its macOS version, from "About this Mac.." (NO serial number however!)
  • the make and model of the "cheap player" so we can research it.
  • What USB cable? (USB2 or USB 3. A USB 3 cable has blue plastic in the connector)
  • Have you tested the player with a known-good pressed—not burned—DVD, like a commercial movie DVD?
  • have you tested the USB port on your computer with a different device to confirm it is working properly?

We need to work through those issues before recommending something else, If you have unresolved software or hardware issues with your iMac, a different brand of of player will not help.

Apr 6, 2022 9:59 AM in response to den.thed

It was just if anyone knew of any general problems, but;

iMac (Retina 5K 27-inch, 2019)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

It's a Patuoxun External DVD/CD Drive USB 3

Have tried in all the USB ports on the computer as well as on a D-Link extender. Sometimes it works in one and not the others, another time it won't work in the one it worked before but might in a different Port.

Yes I have tried other devices in the same ports and none have the same problem

I have tried with good quality DVDs

As I said, I was really just curious if there was a simple known issue, I have plenty of other methods of accessing DVDs this would have been icing on an already lovely cake.

Thank you all for your time though.

Nick

External DVD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.