Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac wasn't read discs in LG gp65nb60 Slim Portable DVD writer

My old Mac is a 15" Mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina. I bought the DVD Drive since the built in optical drive stopped working and I to be able to watch movies on my laptop. The LG DVD writer works fine on the old Mac, but I can't get my new MacBook (13" 2020 running Catalina) to recognize it when there are DVDs in it. For some reason when it's open, my Mac can detect this disc reader:

But closed with or without a DVD in it, the drive or DVD does not show up in the Eject menu or in the Finder. LG doesn't have any drivers for macOS so I'm at a loss for what is going on here. The only thing different I'm doing with both computers is use a USB adapter.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 11:28 AM

Disconnect all other external devices to see if the DVD player will work.

Perhaps the DVD player isn't getting enough power to function. Try using a USB cable that has two ends to plug into the computer in order to provide extra power to the DVD drive.

Try using the official Apple USB-C to USB-A Adapter. Sometimes the multiport adapters (especially third party ones) can have issues with certain devices under certain situations. Try using another brand of adapter.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 11:28 AM in response to caitlinas

Disconnect all other external devices to see if the DVD player will work.

Perhaps the DVD player isn't getting enough power to function. Try using a USB cable that has two ends to plug into the computer in order to provide extra power to the DVD drive.

Try using the official Apple USB-C to USB-A Adapter. Sometimes the multiport adapters (especially third party ones) can have issues with certain devices under certain situations. Try using another brand of adapter.

Sep 26, 2020 12:15 PM in response to HWTech

No other devices have been plugged in and I’m using the official Apple USB to USB-C adapter. I was wondering about it not getting enough power either and whether it’s not drawing enough power with the new MacBook since it’s not a problem with the old one. I’m using the micro USB cord that came with the drive which only has one USB. Some of the reviews for the drive mentioned to only use the cord it comes with, as it doesn’t work with other micro USB cords.

New Mac wasn't read discs in LG gp65nb60 Slim Portable DVD writer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.