Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

DVD drive with Mac M1

My Mac M1 will not recognize an external DVD drive. This drive works with Intel chip, but not M1. Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 4, 2023 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 5:07 AM

I can verify that a drive purposely designed to work with macOS Monterey worked on my M1 mini, and still works on my M2 mini pro, as well as my M1 MBP M1 Pro — whether running Monterey 12.6.5, or Ventura 13.3.1 (a).

• Pioneer BDR-X13U-S

You drive might have benefited from a firmware update if the vendor continued to support it. Now, you probably are looking at a new DVD drive for M1 compatibility, or resign to using the current drive on Intel only.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 5:07 AM in response to IowaBob

I can verify that a drive purposely designed to work with macOS Monterey worked on my M1 mini, and still works on my M2 mini pro, as well as my M1 MBP M1 Pro — whether running Monterey 12.6.5, or Ventura 13.3.1 (a).

• Pioneer BDR-X13U-S

You drive might have benefited from a firmware update if the vendor continued to support it. Now, you probably are looking at a new DVD drive for M1 compatibility, or resign to using the current drive on Intel only.

DVD drive with Mac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.