Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External DVD drive not working

Hi I have a new M1 MacBook Pro. I connected my Dell DW316 DVD drive using an Apple USB-c dongle. The drive is recognized according to System Report but it won't mount a disc-- just keeps making a clicking sound with or without a disc inside.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:23 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

This sounds like a hardware fault with your optical drive. I would suggest that you purchase an Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple. Connect it to your Mac using the official Apple USB-C adapter, which you say you are already using.

Jack

8 replies

Feb 6, 2022 8:55 AM in response to William Kussmaul

I have exactly the same problem with two different external optical drives (Asus and LG). One of them occasionally does start up, but usually they just sit ticking (as though they're trying to power up / spin up). Both of these drives work fine with every other computer I have (including the old 1183), but don't work with the Macbook Air 2020. What's the explanation - is it something to do with granting USB power?

Mar 21, 2022 12:55 PM in response to Njal_Jonsson

Same problem with LG external dvd (model GP55EX70) on Monterey 12.2. Shows as "Portable Super Multi Drive" in USB section of System Report (verified by unplugging and rerunning report, no drive). Light blinking and clicking sound on drive. Works fine in both 10- and 15 year-old vintage MB Pros. Only difference is having to use adapter to connect. LG support no help. A technical explanation rather than a sales response from Apple would be preferable (explain why these devices no longer work, especially since the system recognizes them).

External DVD drive not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.