Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External DVD drive not working with MacBook Air

I have a MacBook Air 2002 (M2). I recently purchased a Dell DW316 external DVD drive to use with the computer. It has a USB-A connection. I have an Apple USB-A to USB-C adaptor, so I used that to connect the external drive. However, the drive does not work (light goes on, but it just makes a clicking sound). I know the external drive itself is working, since it works fine when plugged into a pc's USB-A port. There are no drivers for this device - it is just a USB external drive. Do I need a different kind of adaptor?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 8:07 PM

Sounds like it's power requirements may be excessive (or it's not fully compatible).

Try using a powered hub or a dock so it supplies the power and not the laptop.

Since the ports are Thunderbolt - they should be definitely able to supply enough current to run an external DVD drive.... however this is very dependent on the handshake when the drive is initially plugged in.

If the drive doesn't correctly report when it's connected, then the laptop may default the port to standard 5Volt/500mA USB specifications which is not enough to run the motors in the majority of drives... and that will mean the drive makes that click noise.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 8:07 PM in response to LIMN

Sounds like it's power requirements may be excessive (or it's not fully compatible).

Try using a powered hub or a dock so it supplies the power and not the laptop.

Since the ports are Thunderbolt - they should be definitely able to supply enough current to run an external DVD drive.... however this is very dependent on the handshake when the drive is initially plugged in.

If the drive doesn't correctly report when it's connected, then the laptop may default the port to standard 5Volt/500mA USB specifications which is not enough to run the motors in the majority of drives... and that will mean the drive makes that click noise.

External DVD drive not working with MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.