Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support for external DVD writer with 2021 iMac

Hi community,

I have a slim portable DVD writer from LG (GP60NB50, marketed as Mac compatible) which I'm trying to get running on the above computer with Monterey. It seems to be visible (shows in System Report>USB), however the drive just makes a regular clicking sound and the drive door doesn't open when the button is pressed. This makes me wonder whether enough power is being supplied.

From System Report:

Portable Super Multi Drive:

Product ID: 0x1887

Vendor ID: 0x0e8d  (MediaTek Inc.)

Version: 0.00

Serial Number: K07KBUD2736         

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Hitachi-LG Data Storage Inc

Location ID: 0x01100000 / 1

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

I've connected the drive to my previous Windows PC and it works perfectly, so I know there is nothing wrong with it. I also tried connecting it to a USB charger plug pack and the door opens immediately when the button is pressed. I am using a genuine Apple USB C to USB A adapter cable.

Hope someone can suggest something here.

Thanks

Phil

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 3:02 PM

The DVD writer needs it's own power supply and must be connected directly to one of the USB ports on your iMac. DO NOT attempt to connect using a USB hub. Also check the drives system specifications to ensure it is compatible with the version of MacOS that is installed on your iMac. It is possible it may require some type of update from LG.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 3:02 PM in response to Phil_Geek

The DVD writer needs it's own power supply and must be connected directly to one of the USB ports on your iMac. DO NOT attempt to connect using a USB hub. Also check the drives system specifications to ensure it is compatible with the version of MacOS that is installed on your iMac. It is possible it may require some type of update from LG.

Jan 29, 2022 12:20 PM in response to Phil_Geek

Give the optical drives a look at OWC (MacSales.com). I recommend the drawer loading type as they are less apt to jam over time. Also they have the faster interface than Apple's SuperDrive so will do a better job of playing video DVDs. When burning video DVDS speed is not so important as it's better to burn at the slowest possible speed to produce a better and more reliable burn.

I have an LG from OWC and it works fine with Monterey. However, I have an Intel iMac so that might be the difference. OWC has a number of drives and is one of the best Mac hardware providers out there. Give their customer support a call to see what they recommend to meet you needs, budget and iMac.

I'm just a very happy customer of them.

Jan 25, 2022 8:01 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for that, I wasn’t using a hub, was going through the Apple usb c to usb a adapter cable. I’ve been in touch with LG and their support person specifically said this model (and in fact all their models!) aren’t compatible with Monterey, so I’m returning it and starting a search for something that is definitely compatible - any suggestions?

Jan 25, 2022 9:45 PM in response to Phil_Geek

I would strongly recommend going to www.macsales.com, they specialize in Macs and everything they sell is tested and will work. They have a wide variety of DVD writers depending on your needs. Occasionally I need to read a Blue Ray disc and this one has worked great on my iMac.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/

However they have lots of others so I am pretty sure you will find one that suits your needs and price range.

Feb 4, 2022 5:20 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi all,

I ended up purchasing an Asus ZenDrive (SDRW-08U9M-U) from Amazon. Just plugged it straight in using the USB-C cable supplied, no docks or external additional power supplies, and it worked straight away, checked with CD and DVD, absolutely no issues. Nice to have happened upon this model relatively quickly. Thanks for your input any way guys, much appreciated.

Support for external DVD writer with 2021 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.