Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Error downloading voice control files - Mac OS Ventura

I'm trying to enable Voice Control on an M2 MacBook Pro running Ventura (13.2). No matter what language I select, I consistently get this message, "xyz" is the name of the language I'm trying to download: "An unexpected error occurred while downloading the Voice Control language xyz. Try again later." I've tried English - United States, English - UK, French - France, same results for all of them.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 9:00 PM

This inability to download the language and using voice control is a bug.

When will this be fixed?

There have been 3 updates since this problem started with the ventura update.

31 replies

Apr 11, 2024 11:27 AM in response to TadDavis

#Goal:

Aim: Add voice control language English (UK) to Mac with primary language English (UK)

Error: Unexpected error occurred cannot download English (UK)

This problem has been a persistent problem, as listed in "Error downloading voice control files" by Apple Community

Error downloading voice control files - M… - Apple Community

#Experiment:

Troubleshooting to fix the error.

1. Make sure internet connection is working, make sure signed into Apple ID, make sure I am using admin/power user account, and now again try downloading other languages.

2. In System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control did the following,

Tied to download German, but got same Error: Unexpected error occurred cannot download German

Tied to download English (US), but got same Error: Unexpected error occurred cannot download English (US)

Tied to download French, and it worked

Tied to download German, but got same Error: Unexpected error occurred cannot download German

Tied to download English (US), but got same Error: Unexpected error occurred cannot download English (US)

3. Since French worked first changed the computer primary language to French and rebooted. Thereafter again tried to fetch the English (UK) language but now not as primary language but as add-on language of Voice Control.

System Settings > General > Language & Region > + French as primary > Reboot

System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > French > Let download complete and Voice control start

System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > Turn Off > Reboot

System Settings > General > Language & Region > + English as primary

System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > English > Let download complete and Voice control start.

#Result:

Eureka! Computer now has English (UK) as primary and Voice Control language.

#Inference:

Basic idea is that the change to a new language, here French resets the language settings, so any cache network server error of fetching English (UK) would also be reset. This solution will work for the problem previously reported in "Error downloading voice control files" by Apple Community Error downloading voice control files - M… - Apple Community

#Bonus:

Pro Tip: System Settings > Sound > Input Volume. Here increase input volume, if Voice Control cannot hear you well, also make sure microphone is not covered when you speak to Voice Control. Minimum background noise is better, but in my experience Siri learns to ignore the background if you happen to stay in same background while you speak.

Apr 11, 2024 11:57 AM in response to TadDavis

#Goal:

Aim: Add voice control language English (UK) to Mac with primary language English (UK)

Error: Unexpected error occurred cannot download English (UK)

This problem has been a persistent problem, as listed in "Error downloading voice control files" by Apple Community

Error downloading voice control files - M… - Apple Community

#Experiment:

Troubleshooting to fix the error.

1. Make sure internet connection is working, make sure signed into Apple ID, make sure I am using admin/power user account, and now again try downloading other languages.

2. In System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control did the following,

Tied to download French, and it worked

3. Since French worked first changed the computer primary language to French and rebooted. Thereafter again tried to fetch the English (UK) language but now not as primary language but as add-on language of Voice Control.

System Settings > General > Language & Region > + French as primary > Reboot

System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > French > Let download complete and Voice control start

System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > Turn Off > Reboot

System Settings > General > Language & Region > + English as primary

System Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > English > Let download complete and Voice control start.

#Result:

Eureka! Computer now has English (UK) as primary and Voice Control language.

#Inference:

Basic idea is that the change to a new language, here French resets the language settings, so any cache network server error of fetching English (UK) would also be reset.

#Bonus:

Pro Tip: System Settings > Sound > Input Volume. Here increase input volume, if Voice Control cannot hear you well, also make sure microphone is not covered when you speak to Voice Control. Minimum background noise is better, but in my experience Siri learns to ignore the background if you happen to stay in same background while you speak.

Sep 25, 2023 3:13 AM in response to TadDavis

I've tried the advice in this thread:

1. Disabled the firewall
  2. Removed the Trial folder inside the Library folder
  3. Enabled Voice Control as another user

The last effort has allowed me to download one language, but I still get the same error with other languages.

I've also tried installing the following package manually, as advised in a blog post, but that hasn't helped:

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/39/42/041-98170-A_OGQK1R3RQN/rfmvowf9s70sx4f3d8aveyfu2286k02948/SpeechRecognitionCoreLanguagePremium_en_US.pkg

Apple, please resolve this issue. According to this thread, it affects 50 people who updated to Ventura.

Feb 9, 2023 6:37 PM in response to TadDavis

Hi TadDavis,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're unable to download Voice Control languages. Do you have any security or VPN software installed? If so, you may want to temporarily disable it as this type of software can affect server communication. You may also want to restart your Mac to refresh macOS and the network connection. If you've already done that, you may want to boot in safe mode and then try downloading the Voice Control language again. Here's how if needed: Start up your Mac in safe mode.

"Starting up your Mac in safe mode can help you identify whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Before you begin

To start up your Mac in safe mode, you need to know what type of Mac you have.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Look at the information in the window to determine what type of Mac you have:
    • If you see an item labeled Chip, followed by the name of the chip, you have a Mac with Apple silicon.
    • If you see an item labeled Processor, followed by the name of an Intel processor, you have an Intel-based Mac.

3. Use the corresponding set of instructions below to start up your Mac in safe mode.

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

3. Select a volume.

4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.

On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Verify your Mac started up in safe mode

If you’re unsure whether your Mac started up in safe mode, you can use the System Information app to check the mode.

1. On your Mac, press and hold the Option key, then choose Apple menu  > System Information.
  2. In the System Information app, select Software in the sidebar.
  3. In the System Software Overview, look at the value listed next to the item labeled Boot Mode.
    • Safe: The Mac is using safe mode.
    • Normal: The Mac is not using safe mode."

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Mar 27, 2023 4:10 PM in response to TadDavis

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try to download and install from there. Then reboot normally.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Feb 10, 2023 7:43 AM in response to Jeff_888

I restarted in safe mode. I had the same problem. Any attempt to download any language for Voice Control was repeatedly met with the "unexpected error — try again later" message. I honestly do not think I have a problem at my end. If there were a problem with my network connection, would I not be experiencing other issues? I am not, and I am uploading and downloading large audio files extensively and also running continuous online backups, with not a single problem anywhere at any time. I do not have any security or VPN software installed other than File Vault and whatever default firewall settings come with Ventura for the M2 MacBook Pro.

Mar 9, 2023 11:19 AM in response to ciregreg

I spoke with the 2nd Level, and we escalated it to engineering after gathering some data, but I have not heard back.

I have a Mac mini that's configured almost exactly like the MacBook Pro where I'm having this problem and the language files downloaded just fine on the Mac mini.

Very frustrating to not have this important feature not working.

Mar 15, 2023 9:00 AM in response to steveu75

I can install the voice files on a separate user account, but cannot install it on my primary account.

Engineering recommended deleting my primary account and then going back in and renaming the Account file location, and then creating a new account pointing out at the newly renamed folder.

I had high hopes but it's still not working.

Sigh!!

Despite providing them logs I don't think they know why this is happening.

it would be great if they could provide a workaround for the time being until they solve the problem.

Error downloading voice control files - Mac OS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.